I rescued a baby bird now what?update

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
My mother rescued a baby bird from her cat. I was wondering I have a silkie who is due to hatch out tomorrow (my first hatch) should I give her the baby bird or do to the fact it is a wild bird is that putting my flock at risk for disease.

Last edited:
Couple things.. A silkie cannot feed a Wild bird .. Wild birds need their food regurgatated(sp?) where poultry eat on there own... I would reccomend you get ahold of a wild bird rehabber in your area and give the bird to them...

Thats what I am thinking I do not want to go out and grind up worms
sickbyc.gif
I'm not sure who to call though and I don't want it to die.

NO! Don't put a wild baby bird in with your chickens. They do carry disease and mites. If the baby bird is not injured you can put it back in the nest. If you don't know where the nest is you can try to find someone who does wild life rescue. In the mean time keep the bird warm and quite. It takes a lot to hand raise a baby bird. Feedings every two hours. I've used Baby Parrot Formula. It's a lot of work so I'd try to find someone who does rescue. They generally have several alreay that they're taking care of so one more little mouth isn't adding too much work.

If the said cat punctured the skin anywhere on this baby bird the baby will pass away within 24 hours. The cats saliva is toxic to any critter and one bite is all it will take.
sad.png

A baby bird won't live long without food. If you rescued it yesterday morning and it hasn't eaten it will perish in a matter of a few days. You didn't say how old of a bird it is. Is it feathered out at all? Does it eat on it's own at all?

Yes it has feathered out and is practicing flying, I gave it a very chopped up worm it ate on it's own and drank from a medicine dropper.

Back
Top Bottom