I rescued a duckling and she's resisting help **LOTS OF PICS**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SilverLacedLady, Mar 13, 2011.

1. SilverLacedLady

SilverLacedLady In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    so, I just got 2 indian runners 3 days ago, approx. 2 weeks old, I have never had ducks before but i know people who have they told me to get some and have fun...I shop at Rural King a lot and the new manager there has told the employees that if there is a sick or injured chick, or duckling to do it a favor and break it's neck before they throw it in the dumpster. I have taken an issue with this and told the employess there that i see all the time to let me know if they had any injuries so i could take the poor baby home. I got an injured duckling. from the research i have done I believe it is spraddle leg. She can't stand up straight, she can put weight on it, and she can get around and eats and drinks fine. Problem is, I can't figure out how to brace her and try to get her to walk more normally. I have her seperate from the other duckling and my chicks. It doesn't seem to hurt or bother her. I can post pics as soon as i get the camera charged. Basically her ankle in her right leg looks different from the left. her hip kind of juts out, and she kind of drags the foot behind her. She has gotten stronger since the day I got her and she can stand up on it, and she now keeps her toes spread out. I've tried Tying string (and yarn and even taping) her together above what would be her knees and ankles. she trips and winds up hog trying herself and chews at whatever i use to try to brace her to the point of destruction. I know that there are people on here who do eat thier birds and not just thier eggs. I don't judge you, but I can't do it. Culling is out of the question for me, mostly because my kids are more attatched to the birds than I am. I will try to post pics as soon as I A.) figure out/remember how and B.) find my camera. I really want to get his poor little things fixed up the best i can because she is a sweety. If needed I will build her a wheelchair or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: to add pics and warn it's pic heavy

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Photos would be good- taping correctly can help splay leg- but if it is a slipped tendon then different treatment is needed. It does sound more like splay leg from what you describe- but check the hocks as well - it is easy to see the difference between them if the tendon has slipped on one.

Edited to add... Good on you for trying to give the little one a chance at life. Hopefully it will be quickly fixed and live a normal life.

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/BooksAndEquipment.cfm?CustID=252569&Category=Equipment

Poult
    Pak has Niacin, and nutrients ducks, and ducklings need to prevent leg injuries. I put 1/4 a tsp into their water, and they love the taste. With good love, and this in her water, she should be nursed back to health! [​IMG]

(P.S. she should also have time SUPERVISED on clean water. Hydrotherapy will help exercise the leg.) [​IMG]

ETA: Water has to be SHALLOW, she will need to be able to stand, if she doesn't want to swim.

4. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Poor baby.

We had an Indian Runner duckling hatch that looked EXACTLY like this guy does...same leg problem. He hatched a couple days later then the rest, need help getting out of the wrong side of the egg, and was born with a deformity just like this. So, it may be something that cannot be fixed. Goodnews is, he grew into a fine large duck, and lives a very happy and full pain free life!

Hope she gets better, and the niacin is a great idea!

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Crowing

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Since he's young, you can try to help him as much as you can. But, I can see that he is able to stand and get around, so he could still have a quality life even if you can't fix it. He just won't be able to run around as much as other ducks.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    After seeing the photo now- I have to agree with Funniducki1. This duckling is most likely to have been positioned wrong in the egg- and has damage to the tendons and muscles around the hip. I just rehomed a little drake with the same issue a few weeks ago - I had put a pad on the underside of his foot to help him walk for the first few days- and after that he was able to get around quiet well but often stepped on his own foot and stumbled - but for the most part - he was fine.

When my little one hatched- you could clearly see his leg was back over the top of his tail- and had a curve in it the shape of the egg. Try and keep her off smooth slippery surfaces- as this is when she is most likely to have problems with that leg. Strapping the leg may cause more damage than it may fix in a case like this- knowing exactly where to strap- so that you do not put more pressure on the hip but allow the thigh to be pulled back into allignment- may be difficult.

Something to watch out for in the future....... is the height and depth of a pool for them to swim in- this little one may need something very low to be able to climb in and out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: