I rescued a tame chicken and now I'm a chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taunya, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Taunya

Taunya Chirping

Jan 4, 2018
    Hi there, I'm Taunya and I rescued a young hen near a Los Angeles freeway entrance... she was so tame she came up to me for help so... now I have a chicken.

I'd like to do my best by Rosy and I hear you all are pretty amazing so here I am.

alexa009, Didi84, Sassysouth and 27 others like this.
  2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    How awesome! She is lucky she found you! Welcome to BYC!

3. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    :welcome I hope you enjoy your chicken-keeping journey! I've read it gets addictive, so don't be surprised if you end up with more chickens later, lol! :ya

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! She needs chicken friends, and good for you for being there for her! Check with people on your state thread here; maybe there's someone close who can help too.
    Mary

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Taunya & Rosy :frow Welcome!

I agree with Mary that Rosy may be very lonely being a single chicken as they are social, flock birds. Having said that, lots of people have single 'house' chickens and if you search 'house chickens' you will find numerous threads on the topic.

This is a link to Find Your State Thread

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

6. Taunya

Taunya Chirping

Jan 4, 2018
    Heh.. first I have to figure out how to take care of this young lady (and where I'm going to keep her) but it could well happen.

7. Taunya

Taunya Chirping

Jan 4, 2018
    Thank you so much! Yeah, once I have an idea where I'm going to have her long term, I'd like to get another hen for companionship.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

If you can, I would love to see a picture of her?

9. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    Hi Taunya, welcome to BYC! Thank you for rescuing Rosy! I'm originally from LA and sooo curious-- near which onramp did you find her?

10. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Songster

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    @Taunya where in Los Angeles are you? I'm in Los angeles too. Welcome!!!! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: