I said Goodbye to my Roos today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by palomino777902, Oct 21, 2008.

1. palomino777902

palomino777902 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    [​IMG]

I'm sad today. My hubby took the Roos to the auction this morning.

I thought I was ready to say goodbye. I wasn't even though I knew this day would come, even as day old chicks.

I was sure hoping for more hens.

I was going to go along but I chickened out (no pun intended)

I tried to find homes for them, but alas, no one wanted any roos. [​IMG]

2. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I feel your pain [​IMG]. I was going to start hatching chicks but getting rid of the extra Roos just broke my heart.

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww you poor thing. I am so sorry! :aww

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm in the same boat, I understand your feelings. Why are the most friendly chicks always the roosters. [​IMG]

5. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    I'm still procrastinating about my roos... I have too many and I know the day is coming when some will have to go. They are mostly under 6 mos old right now and not causing trouble YET, but I know what's coming. I feel your pain... [​IMG]

6. palomino777902

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    I'm amazed at how upset I was. Shoot, years ago when I raised peeps, I was the one who cut the heads off the roos, cleaned and put them in the freezer.

What the heck happened to me?
    They were 14 weeks old and I was afraid if I waited until they were fully matured, they would be too darn pretty AND I would be even more attached!

I know it had to be BUT [​IMG]

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I go to auctions and buy roos.. For pets cause we do not eat any of our chickens....
    I have a rooster barn with some of the full sized ones. They roam the yard during the day and go to roost each night. I beat out a meat buyer to get them...
    Show birds from the fairs and had tags and show results with them... Meat buyer said oh well they will taste the same as plain ones :mad:
    I buy little banty ones because here the go for some strange sacrifice ritual... The prettier the better to them..
    I have several barns and as long as I can afford to feed and care for them they have a great life here.
    I get teased at the auctions when they bring out the roos....
    So long story short hope there is someone like me there at the sale to buy yours....

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Wow, lilchick - you're amazing helping out the roos that way. [​IMG]

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I give mine to a guy who will take them. I ask no questions because I know that he cannot keep them all for breeding. Se la vie!

10. palomino777902

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    lilchick, if you tell me you live in PA, well [​IMG]

One of my fears was the ritual things. Thanks for bringing that up. They were all bantys.

Now I really have that warm and fuzzy feeling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by