I saved a chick today!

ldburton

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
SE Idaho
I had a hen go broody on the golf ball I use for nest egg and she was determined to hatch that "egg" so I left her alone. Other hens laid a few eggs for her to hatch and I had 3 new chicks in the nest this morning. I looked enough to know there could be 4 more, so I left them alone and went to work. I ran home at lunch to find a cold "dead" baby outside the nest, but when I picked it up something told me to rub it and warm it. So I did while checking the nest. One of the chicks was completely gone and one was warm and content among the eggs. I figured if she wasn't going to do a better job, I was taking over. I put both chicks in a bowl with a hot water bottle and towel and took them to work with me. A couple hours later, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart if I hadn't marked the "dead" baby. They are both snuggled in my brooder and doing fine. Amazing!!

That's a great story! Good Job!
yippiechickie.gif

Gosh, how awful (but glad about the save)!! I wonder what happened to the one that disappeared? Any idea? Hope the rest hatch and go on to live a happy brooder life!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom