I saved a chick today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ldburton, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ldburton

ldburton New Egg

Jan 31, 2008
    SE Idaho
    I had a hen go broody on the golf ball I use for nest egg and she was determined to hatch that "egg" so I left her alone. Other hens laid a few eggs for her to hatch and I had 3 new chicks in the nest this morning. I looked enough to know there could be 4 more, so I left them alone and went to work. I ran home at lunch to find a cold "dead" baby outside the nest, but when I picked it up something told me to rub it and warm it. So I did while checking the nest. One of the chicks was completely gone and one was warm and content among the eggs. I figured if she wasn't going to do a better job, I was taking over. I put both chicks in a bowl with a hot water bottle and towel and took them to work with me. A couple hours later, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart if I hadn't marked the "dead" baby. They are both snuggled in my brooder and doing fine. Amazing!!
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations. That is always a great thing. Hopefully they both do well as well as any others that come along. Keep up the good work.
  3. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    That's a great story! Good Job! [​IMG]
  4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Gosh, how awful (but glad about the save)!! I wonder what happened to the one that disappeared? Any idea? Hope the rest hatch and go on to live a happy brooder life! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by