1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i saved some chickens, now what are they??? ***PICS ADDED***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sdshoars, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i "saved" two pullets from a "puppy mill" chicken breeder who told me they were black sex links. i took them home knowing full well that they are not, i just wanted them to have a better life. both are solid black, one has black legs and a single comb, and the other has lighter legs, and a pea comb, like my GLW. i will post pictures later today, but does anyone have any ideas?

*edited title*

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    oh, both have white skin.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

black orpingtons or australorps? (although mine don't have pea combs)

4. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

cant say much w/ out pics.

5. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    ok here we go...
    this girl has the rose comb/ pea comb?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this one has a single comb, its kinda hard to tell in this pic...
    [​IMG]
    and the two of them eating nutritionally complete food for the first time!!! yay!!!
    [​IMG]
    thanks for any help on the id!!!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are mixes of some sort for sure. Perhaps some distant silkie ancestory for the massive black pigmenation on the skin.

7. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    yeah i have never seen anything be so black like they are. one of them looks like a squat crow, with her long beak. i named her wednesday. *sings* they're creepy and they're kooky...

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    A friend of mine has Australorps that are very dark like a crow or raven. I think that they are Australorps.

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    No I don't think they are Australopes We hav e 5 hens and they have much broader bodies than that. Their beaks are also different. They don't look like our black sexllinks either. Maybe a mix.

10. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't really care what they are, but I think they are very beautiful and graceful looking! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by