I saw 2 of my hens Fighting today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by deChickyHen, Feb 7, 2012.

1. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I just don't know how I feel about this yet, one of my RR's was beating and biting the Heck out of my BO's... What in the world.... I know they have there pecking order, but the RR was really aggressive and just mean, that Poor BO just stuck under me till I left for work and my hubby said she would not go back to the chick yard or the coop . poor miss Buffy... and the other day, One of my roosters chased and attacked my 5 year old son, of course Mr Rooster hasn't done this since I swiftly kicked him over the fence.... sorry but it's the truth ... I love my birds, but attacking my baby is a NO NO!!!

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Of course you shouldn't let the rooster attack your baby!!! You were right for what you did. Hope that puts him in his place, and he won't do it anymore. [​IMG] Unfortunately, hens can and will pick on each other. Just keep an eye on her, to make sure they don't get the better of her.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Unfortunately the rooster is highly likely to make another attack on your son. If, or until, your son is the one to consistently put him in his place he is at risk of attack. Pretty tall order for a 5 year old. If you absolutely want to keep the rooster then I would keep him penned where he cannot get to the kids. No kid needs a face full of rooster.

As far as the hens fighting, I'd watch carefully. Pecking order is one thing but if it goes to far and one bird as way to aggressive I pull that bird out for a few days. If it continues after she's rejoined the flock then that bird doesn't stay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by