I saw a cool-looking group of cows the other day!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by backyardfarmer83, Mar 30, 2011.

1. backyardfarmer83

backyardfarmer83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    I'm pretty sure that these cows are a rare breed because I've never seen them before. As my friend and I were driving home from the mall, we passed someone's pasture and saw about 5 or 6 cows munching away on grass. It would have been a regular daily sight, since I live in Kansas and see cows everywhere. But these cows were different. They looked like giant oreo cookies!! They would have been a solid black except for this fat white stripe running right through the middle section. I about peed my pants I laughed so hard (out of sheer glee from seeing a cow that looked like my favorite cookie). Does anyone know what breed of cow this is?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Belted Dexter maybe?

3. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Yeah there's a name for those but I forget it.

There are some cows up the street I call the KISS cows, they have raggedy black/white patterns and this makes "face masks" that make them look like members of the rock band KISS. They're cool.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    galloways are also belted

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They are Belted's, but I think there's more than one breed. I want to say Galloway? is the first one I saw, I called them Oreo cows, too! [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Belted Galloway? or a Dutch black and white Lakenvelder maybe?

7. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Did it look like this?
    [​IMG]
    This is a Belted Galloway. I worked for a man who raises and breeds them and he is also a breed representative in Vermont/Maine/New Hampshire.

8. westernnychickens

westernnychickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    if they were a beef breed they would be galloways, if they were a dairy breed they would be a dutch belt which are also called lakenvelders. I own a few dutch belts they were brought to this country by P.T. Barnum for his circus and side show act back in the 1800s

9. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    We have those cows all over the hills near my house. When I was little all the kids at my school would call them Oreo Cows and they even made up a special song for them [​IMG]

10. backyardfarmer83

backyardfarmer83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Quote:YES, they were exactly like that. Nice to know they are not as rare as I thought, and good to have a name for them now. If I ever get the chance to own a cow, I want one of those!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by