I saw a mink near my coop!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenCowboy02, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Hi, I recently saw a mink near my flock, and I'm very scared for my flock! What do I do? I secured my chicken door and window and the human door. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks:)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ChickenCowboy02, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I never had a mink bothering my birds but I hear they can do some real damage. Here's a link from the Learning Center that discusses this threat: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mink-chicken-predators-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mink
    And in the link below you can read through some old BYC threads from folks who have experienced them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=mink
    Finally, find your state thread in the link below and post there - maybe a local can give you some good advice:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ChickenCowboy02 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great starting points from redsoxs, I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. Thank you for that very helpful tip redsox! And thanks glad to be here! I have used BYC many a time before but just now decided to join.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links from redsoxs already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. I just really want to protect my flock. I had a Buff Orpington in the past, her name was Buffy, and she got taken away by something :-( Also how do I make my profile pic?

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They can get through very small openings. Could you run some strings of electric fence near the bottom of the run- to zap them?

9. I could do that! I have lots of electrical fence from when I did my horse pasture a few years back.

10. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by