I saw a Real RIR Hen for the first time !!!

PatShea

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Lakewood
Today we were at my son's school and for the first time in my life I saw a 8 month old Rhode Island Red Hen!! She was beautiful. We have RIR's I thought or was told when we brought them that they were all pullets
jumpy.gif
,well now that I saw what a real Hen looks like I now know I have 5 Roosters ,and 1 Hen, my are 4 months old but they all do not look like her
hit.gif
Now what am I going to do what 5 Roosters ?
he.gif

No wonder he bit me and chases me around , also they look like they are fighting .

I hatched 30 chicks RIR's & 14 turned out to be cockerels. Bummer. I wanted at least 20 pullets but any who I put a sign at my gate. Roosters for sale all my friends laughed and said it wouldn't work. Low & behold I sold them all.

Quote:
I felt the same disappointment when i got my RIR's...but then I figured...why does it bother me now? I LOVE my production reds
smile.png
They're still nice,beautiful birds:) Now ALL my birds are PQ and not SQ...I don't show so it doesn't bother me
smile.png

OOPS...misunderstood post! Sorry! I sell my Roosters to people who want to butcher...and I butcher some myself...sorry you got shafted
sad.png

Last edited:
OH, my, Pat, I am so sorry that you were sold roosters! If you list them on Craig's List, they will go quickly. I just give the roosters away. If I try to get a few bucks for them, nobody calls.

Thanks everyone !! My husband thinks it's funny
lol.png
Because he kept telling me I had a bunch of roosters and I thought he didn't know a thing, but he raised chickens when he was young , and he was the one to have to butcher them ,his family had a farm and yes they had chickens
sad.png

Oh well good thing I ordered more RIR's from the place I get my feed and other chicks
wink.png

And my Mother-in-law says Sunday Dinner
D.gif

Last edited:
That's right or invite you kids over for dinner LOL I have 5 boys ( ages 30 to 40 and a girl age 32 ) and 7 granddaughters

Allthough it is disappointing to have roos, some good may still come out of it. Can you keep roos in your area?

In my first 5 chicks ever, 3 of them were rir roos. I treated them like hens and none turned out aggressive (hear that people who say to have your roo fear you
tongue.gif
). I didnt want 3 roos but couldn't sell them for anything...heck, most people don't even have chickens in my area of baltimore. Two went to my table and one is a fantastic roo.

71701_gil.jpg

Gilda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom