I saw a Real RIR Hen for the first time !!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PatShea, Jun 9, 2011.

1. PatShea

PatShea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Lakewood
    Today we were at my son's school and for the first time in my life I saw a 8 month old Rhode Island Red Hen!! She was beautiful. We have RIR's I thought or was told when we brought them that they were all pullets [​IMG] ,well now that I saw what a real Hen looks like I now know I have 5 Roosters ,and 1 Hen, my are 4 months old but they all do not look like her [​IMG] Now what am I going to do what 5 Roosters ? [​IMG]
    No wonder he bit me and chases me around , also they look like they are fighting .

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I hatched 30 chicks RIR's & 14 turned out to be cockerels. Bummer. I wanted at least 20 pullets but any who I put a sign at my gate. Roosters for sale all my friends laughed and said it wouldn't work. Low & behold I sold them all.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:I felt the same disappointment when i got my RIR's...but then I figured...why does it bother me now? I LOVE my production reds [​IMG] They're still nice,beautiful birds:) Now ALL my birds are PQ and not SQ...I don't show so it doesn't bother me [​IMG]
    OOPS...misunderstood post! Sorry! I sell my Roosters to people who want to butcher...and I butcher some myself...sorry you got shafted [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, my, Pat, I am so sorry that you were sold roosters! If you list them on Craig's List, they will go quickly. I just give the roosters away. If I try to get a few bucks for them, nobody calls.

5. PatShea

Mar 8, 2011
    Lakewood
    Thanks everyone !! My husband thinks it's funny [​IMG] Because he kept telling me I had a bunch of roosters and I thought he didn't know a thing, but he raised chickens when he was young , and he was the one to have to butcher them ,his family had a farm and yes they had chickens [​IMG]
    Oh well good thing I ordered more RIR's from the place I get my feed and other chicks [​IMG]
    And my Mother-in-law says Sunday Dinner [​IMG]

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] And...Monday dinner...and Tuesday...lol...

7. PatShea

Mar 8, 2011
    Lakewood
    That's right or invite you kids over for dinner LOL I have 5 boys ( ages 30 to 40 and a girl age 32 ) and 7 granddaughters

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I think you need to change your signature, lol. [​IMG]

9. PatShea

Mar 8, 2011
    Lakewood
    Thanks Julie I did LOL

10. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Allthough it is disappointing to have roos, some good may still come out of it. Can you keep roos in your area?

In my first 5 chicks ever, 3 of them were rir roos. I treated them like hens and none turned out aggressive (hear that people who say to have your roo fear you [​IMG] ). I didnt want 3 roos but couldn't sell them for anything...heck, most people don't even have chickens in my area of baltimore. Two went to my table and one is a fantastic roo.

[​IMG]
    Gilda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by