I saw chickens for sale but have chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Half a dozen, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Half a dozen

Half a dozen Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Today I went to my feed store to get more food, apple cider vinegar and treats etc. On my way home I went passed the farm, he had signs up selling ducklings and chickens, which I presume are POL's as they were last year. I was thinking could I get a pol to live with my 3 3 week old chicks? My thinking is the chicks could snuggle into her at night when they bond, learn from her and we could have an adult chicken to start with and learn how to care for an adult before my 3 get to adulthood and eggs as a bonus. I'm posting this to ask for advice as my coop is big enough for 4 hens, I have 3 babies, so a pol would make 4. But..... would she pick on them and cause issues? I only have the one coop but do intend to free range them at the end of summer when we move and the coop is just for food and bed time. is it too risky? It's just a idea I could take it or leave it depending on the advice. Thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The older birds will try to kill the chicks so please don't combine them. You would want to quarantine any older birds away from your chicks initially to make sure they aren't carrying any hidden diseases. Though they could have something they are immune to but your chicks aren't. It's always risky to bring in adult birds. I would just stick with the chicks you have, it sounds like you have a very small coop which could be trouble when your birds mature and want more room.

2 people like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    oldhenlikesdogs is so very right, stick with your chicks.

4. Half a dozen

Half a dozen Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    ok then, it was just an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by