1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I saw my chicken lay an egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicknduck, Jul 11, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Songster

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello all. So I am a new chicken person and I have had my 12 Golden buffs (all hens) since they were 1 day old. They will be 15 weeks tomorrow. We were out in the backyard and they always come up from the woods and sit with us. Personally I think they enjoy being part of the action. With 2 kids 2 dogs and 2 cats they fit right in. After working in the garden and cooking out one hen was acting weird just all puffed up and she layed a little egg right at my feet. I was so amazed by this that before I grabbed it another chicken pecked it and it broke. What a wonderfull experience for a first timmer. I also need to know about oyster shells, should I feed them to the hens they do eat very well and very a balanced diet but, would this help the shells be harder?
    I just wanted to share my excitement...... Thank you all for listening or reading I am so excited and amazed and proud!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, isn't it a delight! Too bad the other curious chicken pecked it, though.

I offer crushed oyster shell free choice, I don't add it to their feed. Just empty a can of tuna, clean it, take off the label, nail it to an inside wall of the coop near their feed, and fill it with crushed oyster shell. The pullets and hens which need it will take it.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If they are laying age oyster shell's given will benefit them now.They don't need much just a little.Congrat's on the egg but sorry it got broken.

4. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm happy for you too, to bad about he chicken pecking it [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Wowee! That's young! How exciting [​IMG]

6. chicknduck

chicknduck Songster

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I was so amazed and shocked that it came right to me and layed it at my feet that I guess I didn't respond quick enough. It does help that it was my favorite chicken that layed it.[​IMG] They do free range so she was about 60 ft from her coop but I think she will get the hang of it. Just a wonderfull thing to see. It really did make my day. Oh the kids were excited too,. I can not wait to see them in the morning. Maybe more suprizes will await.

7. chicknduck

chicknduck Songster

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    And also thanks for the oyster shell input. [​IMG]

8. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Right now I only have one hen laying (she is a Red Star) and I give her Oyster shells... I love to fry the eggs I get in the morning and I have to hit her egg on the side of the pan three times before it breaks! She has tried to break one of her own eggs before with her beak and it didn't work so... Oyster shell is good [​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just a hint for you....now that they're at laying age, it might be a good idea to keep them locked in the coop/run until around 5:00 every day. This will help them get into the habit of laying their eggs in the nesting boxes, instead of out in the woods.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Congratulations on the new layer! Oyster shell ... I keep a two-sided little kitty feed dish in each coop or pen. In one side I put Oyster Shell and in the other I put grit. They only eat what the need.

I put a fake egg in each nest when they are at this age, to encourage them where to lay. It has worked every time, and they all lay in the nests. Mine free range all day, and they all come back to the nests to lay.

Good luck with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by