I saw my first purple chicken today!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyb1969, Nov 11, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I've never seen or heard of a purple chicken...until today. [​IMG]

I went over to Miss_Jayne's house to pick up a couple of white rock pullets, which are absolutely gorgeous, just like all of her chickens! [​IMG]

She has a flock of bantams that are "free birds"...meaning they are never locked up in a coop, they free range her property 24/7. They come when they're called for feeding, but otherwise just happily live their days seeking out bugs, beetles, and whatever else crawls in their path.

Well today, we were herding the bantams back towards Miss_Jayne's house, as they had strayed just a little too far from home base. And suddenly I saw them....

2 purple chickens! [​IMG]

The most beautiful shade of purple, on these 2 very small bantam hens. I don't know, and I didn't care at the moment, what bantam breed they are, though. Of course, my addiction took over and I immediately thought "MUST HAVE"...but then I snapped out of it!

But I must say, if those came in a standard size package, I'd buy a whole truckload of them! [​IMG]

Thank you Miss_Jayne [​IMG] , once again, for giving us another unforgettable day! We just love visiting with you....there's always something new that happens every time we're there!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What? No pics???

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Miss-Jayne, fess up! You didn't tell us about your secret purple breeding program!

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Quote:I didn't have my camera with me. [​IMG] I should've known to take it with me over there....something amazing ALWAYS happens every time we visit with Miss_Jayne!

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] Alright now, no fair! We wanted to see too!!!! LOL

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:I didn't have my camera with me. [​IMG] I should've known to take it with me over there....something amazing ALWAYS happens every time we visit with Miss_Jayne!

like me hitting my head on my car, stepping on nails, getting pecked in the eye! i am surprised you want to step onto our property when i am home![​IMG]

i enjoyed our visit also! always a blast! plus you got to see Half Pints' first egg laid minutes before you arrived!

the 'purple' chickens...the secret is giving them TONS of purple Kool-Aid.

nahhhh...it's their purple sheen on the black plumage. when the light hits them just so, they really look purple-ish!

7. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Some of my muscovies look purple! It is a very pretty sheen.

8. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Does this one count? Hee hee! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to make these for some rescue girls with minimal # of feathers. [​IMG]

The chicken modeling it is my rescue from earlier this summer who now has all her feathers and is doing great!

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I bet they are lovely! Shame on you for not sharing pics with the rest of us! [​IMG]

10. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    And here I was beginning to think that PurpleChicken was actually a very intelligent chicken, leading the life of a human, and posting on the BYC...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by