I saw my pair 'get it on!!!!!!'

StellaLenoir

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
So........now that I know they are 'doing it' how long after does the hen lay?

I only have 2 adult chickens and they free range my yard. About when should I start egg hunting?

Her waddles are Very red, and it has been warm here in NW Fl. She is totaly old enough. Please tell me there may be eggs in the oven!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks!!!!!!!

How old is your girl? If she's old enough she may already be laying, and you just don't know it
big_smile.png
. The rooster really has nothing to do with egg laying (except to make those eggs fertile). If THAT's what you are asking.. I think it's like 24-48hrs before the first fertile egg? But someone else will have to say for sure.. my poor little roo tries, but he's too small and hasn't figured out how to be effective with his big ladies yet.. LOL!

Meghan

She would have only just been old enough this fall, just before the cold. She is about 7 months. I think she may be starting. We would have found some eggs by now I think.

I hope we find the eggs if she does lay any.
smile.png
She is NOT broody at all. so no hatching.

Last edited:
Just for the record you don't have to have a rooster to get the eggs. Or did I misunderstand the post? At 7 months you should see some eggs but if she free ranges the eggs might be hidden.

I think some folk think the rooster will only do his THANG when the hen is ready to lay - but no - the rooster will sneak up and take advantage when ever he gets the chance... I had a roo doing his THANG with my standards when they were 15 or so weeks.... he didn't care! (I did)
lol.png

Yes I know what the rooster does.
tongue.png

But I dont think she has started laying yet. I check all the time. They have just started acting like a coulple.

I just am asking if them doing it, makes her ready for egg laying. I know she would lay roo or not. But she is my first hen and reading her is not easy.

But I think her age when she molted and the cold, put her egg laying start off till now.

She is a I think a motled houldan (sp way off sorry) and they both have crests.
100_2414.jpg
He is the roo in front with the light crest. She is the only hen. lol! Date is correct on pic.

I guess I could be totaly wrong and her eggs would have to be super hidden. But I really dont think she was laying, and He only started acting really rooish. They have been alone for a few weeks, we used to have 3 roos, 1 hen, and maybe that had something to do with things.

I just thought it was funny, when I saw them, there was no denining it any more! My chick had grown up! LOL~

Pretty birds!!

I have a girl that is 7mos also. She just started laying this week (woohoo!!). I think a big part is the amt of light they are currently getting.

Certainly can be frustrating though! When Jane finally decided to lay her egg, both the kids and I were glued to her little box, watching! Poor girl. first egg AND an audience!

I *think* you can check their vent to tell if they've been laying.. big, soft, moist they are. Small dry puckered, they aren't. Someone else can maybe help you there.. though. I'm just not sure.

Meghan

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope, just means HE"S ready...... as I said in my earlier post - the roo I have is older and he was more than happy to take care of business with hens much younger (15 weeks or so)

I trimmed my cochins vents for the first time a few days ago and Queen is right I have a pullet that should start laying in Feb or March dry tight puckered up vent hen that started to lay recently big wet OK you get the point. I was going to let my city girl SIL do the hen as she is usually the calmest however oncew she saw what it looked like she got grossed out and decided she would hold her. I laughed about and explained if you had to lay an egg everyday you would want it lubed up a little too. Of course this SIL was on everything possible when she had her son and when we asked nurse which room was her's she said the one where the screaming is coming from LOL.

Kasi

Back
Top Bottom