I saw Nicky lay her egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybuglives, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    Yesterday I actually got to see my hen lay an egg. I was going into the coop to clean it and I saw Nicolette in her nesting box all puffed up and in a slight squat. I had noticed her in there about a half an hour before quietly sitting to one side of the box. I have fake eggs in there to give all my girls the idea. Nicky has only just started laying (about a week ago). When I saw her I could tell that she was working on something -- I peeked underneath her and there were only the fake eggs. I heard a little squeaking noise that sounded a bit like a mosquito -- I actually thought it was an insect outside. Then I looked back at Nick's face -- her eyes slightly squinted and then I heard a grunt! Yes a real grunt -- like a grunt one might make to let go of a big BM! Then out plopped her egg -- wet! It instantly dried in the air and I quietly shut the door to give Nicky some privacy with her egg. I swear this whole scene took less than 30 seconds. I just happened to catch her at the perfect moment. I felt so excited to have witnessed this magnificent event!!!! Yes, the egg laying thing is still a miracle to me. Nicolette is also my favorite chicken. She is such a sweet, gentle girl and has matured well before the rest of the brood -- 20 weeks and laying 6 eggs a week. None of the other girls have laid any eggs yet. Nicky is the only one with her comb and wattles full grown. Some girls grow up so fast...

2. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    what a lovley moment for you, i had a similar experience yesterday but it wasnt a happy event, pippie pushed out a soft one on the ground and looked very startled, it was her first so hoping she will follow the others into the nesting box's next time, but what a special moment for you.[​IMG]

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    It's really something, isn't it? I've seen it a couple times with my girls. And they really do seem to push! I can hear grunting, squeaking, and chirping coming from the next box every morning. Sometimes I visit who evers in there to cheer her on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by