I saw something interesting a few minutes ago…

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldeneggtees, Jun 18, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    One of my b/o hens looked a little weird earlier, all puffed up. So, I picked her up and put her into into her nesting box, figuring she had to lay. Well, she jumped out right away and went back outside. Once out there, I spied on her again and noticed the same behavior, only this time she was straining. At this point, one of my other hens runs over, circling her again and again. She looked like she knew what was about to happen. Anyway, the original hen drops a soft shelled egg and my other hen is there to snatch up the goods. I haven't been getting as many eggs lately and now I know why. They get oyster shells daily and laying pellets, so all should be ok. Although I have to admit they don't get wormed. But I do check them regularly for mites and pests.

Hmmmm… interesting.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I saw one of my ducks lay an egg the other too...Never actually been around when it happens before. She was standing up to do it too- so it made it all the more interesting to watch. Hope she starts laying some hard shelled ones soon- so they cant be eaten by the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by