I saw the stupidest Owl ever...!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KingsCalls, Dec 18, 2007.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I was awakened by the bantams raising cain about about 1am last night. I looked out the bathroom window but, could not see anything. I did hear a "thump" and then the bantams went bezerck! I went to the back door and stood there with the lights off watching the pens. Just barely, I saw something come down from the sky and hit the side of the pen. I turned on the back lights and watched for a little while longer. Bam! There it was, lying on the ground shacking it's head and flying back into the tree.........It was an owl ! He would sit on the same limb, and every 2 min. or so, would fly down full speed and ram the side of the pen.....How stupid can ya get? Those pens are 1/2" square wire with treated 2x4's every 2 feet so they are strong! I guess he gave up because after 3 times of me seeing it myself, he finally flew off. I don't know how long he had been at this because it takes a lot to wake me! Was this not the stupidest OWL?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    We put up a house for a pair of screech owls that nested in our carport- didn't like them pooping all over the car. They nested there for a couple of years, then one year they let a squirel family kick them out. I guess that's more wimpy than stupid. Don't squirels know that they are rodents and owls eat rodents? Don't the owls realize that?[​IMG]

3. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hehe, silly owl! [​IMG]

We have 3 silly street cats roaming around the house grounds. They saw a little glass window and they think it's a hole that they can pass through to go inside the house. They ran towards it then they bump their head on the glass. I can clearly see that they got very dizzy after that! Crazy cats!

We also have a strange little bird one morning that somehow entered the the coop(not yet inhabited by chickens), perching on the roost. When it saw us it flew away because it got scared. It flew and knocked itself to the wall! It then fell down the floor, but flew out of the coop afterwards.

I, myself, am silly. Look at my username. [​IMG]

I like silly animals. My chicks are quite silly and provides me lots of entertainment.

Good luck!

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] yup that is one STUPID owl............. [​IMG]

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Wow,thanks for that post we have had at least 3 owls in the tress in the front yard at one time,ill make sure my chicken run is strong before we move them from the barn

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Pretty Sure that was the Kamikaze breed of owl, known to inhabit parts of Tennessee and Japan. [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sounds like he has a crazy mother like mine and argued with her all day yesterday over stupid stuff, made me want to fly into the side of a barn a few hundred times myself!! [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

LOL @ Scrambled and Tx!

I spent the day with my Aunt so can I borrow your coop too?

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Ya know what they say, if you keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome........ that is insanity. I think what you have there is an insane owl. [​IMG]

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i would have tried to catch him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by