I Says, I says... I says......Chicken Fever!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brian, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    When we moved here to So Oregon almost a year ago. I wanted property, and I wanted to raise some chickens again. Several people lightly ribbed me for wanting chickens. "What are you going to do next? Buy overalls and walk around with a long blade of hay hanging from your mouth? A-huh, a-huh, ahuh." I thought to myself...is that a bad thing?

Flash forward to present. I now have 16 eight week olds in the hen house. One friend has 5, another has 4, another yet is talking about getting some, and a fourth has ordered 12. [​IMG]

It's contagious! Have you witnessed chicken fever yourself?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I've already spread the 'contagion' to one set of friends, and another set is going to take some of the chicks I've got percolating in the bator. So YES, chicken fever is both addictive AND contagious!!

We've had our original set of chickens for exactly 1 year [​IMG]

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's true. My friend just bought 9 chicks and another friend is trying to figure out how to convert her yard so she can have some too. [​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm the only one with chooks in my area, so far. The friends and family that know I have them, are entertained by the idea that I have them, but that's it.

It sure would be nice to have another neighbor to talk chicken to. (and to hear another bok bok ba gawk from someone elses back yard.) [​IMG]

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    How about the blade of hay? When will that happen?

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Hay!!!!
    I wear bib overalls a lot. They are very comfortable!!!
    [​IMG]

Jean

7. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    nothing like the sweet taste of grass hay on a warm autumn night, beats the heck out of gum!

8. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Several weeks ago, my son saw that one of our neighbors had some very beautiful show-quality chickens in their front yard. He immediately began to "pester" me for chickens. I was soooo against it.. "chickens are stinky.. chickens are hard to care for.. we don't know anything about chickens..." but he kept on, and as spring got closer, I relented, did a little research myself, and decided we would get just a few banties. A couple of pretty little things that we could enjoy.. and who knows, maybe end up with something to show at the fair.
    Well, all it ook was that first trip to the feed store... and now I have it something bad... Chicken fever.. and the only cure is more chickens!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Me too, exactly. I'd love to hear other chooks in the 'hood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by