I scored

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    A few days ago one of our neighbors down the road told me that I could have all the horse manure that I wanted. I went and looked and this stuff is in an area that is about 60ft by 60ft. Its already been there about 3 or 4 years. Its actually soil now. Dark black, rich soil. He asked me to come get all that I want from now on. He even said please. I have taken my tractor down there and loaded my dirt bucket up about 40 times and I have not even made a dent in it. He was using it to fill in low lying areas.

My cost? I've givin him two bottles of homemade wine. Unbelieveable. I also noticed that there were worms. That has peaked my interest. I am now ordering about 4000 red worms and I am going to start a worm ranch. By this time next year I am going to start selling bait worms to the plentyfull bait shops around the area at a price that they can not afford to pass up. I aint never going to get rich off of it but I bet I can add $600 to $800 dollars a month to my pocket.

So, with my bird house and garden planter sales, worms and hopefully garden produce sales starting next year, I may never work for anyone else again. Not that I have in a while but things are actually starting to come together for me. I dont like bosses, its hard to get them trained

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    [​IMG] right on I wish I lived close to you.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Would you mind bringing me a tractor bucket full? I'm just up I-45 til you hit I-20, go west, then come north on 360! What a great "haul", you "hit paydirt", shall I continue.... [​IMG] Very nice of your neighbor to share, enjoy your "good Earth". (sorry, I couldn't resist)

4. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I am on my way now.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Lucky you. That's a bunch a loads full of _, er manure!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Quote:I am on my way now.

I am actually on the way - could you stop at my place first? I am right off I-45 just before you hit Dallas.
    Thanks! Can't wait to meet you!
    [​IMG]

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Good for you! I'd love to have a source for manure.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Lucky find!

That is the best fertilizer, especially after it has sat for that long. Rich compost!

9. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Hey I'm not that far "up the road" just keep driving north than a liitle east & you will be in Indiana in no time at all!!
    LOL Theresa

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    As I always say, "You dont make money when you sell something... you make it when you obtain it."

FREE manure (with worms tossed in) - that's a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by