I see the bill in the air cell..*update*..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blooming chicks, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    How long can they survive like this before pipping, It almost looks like it is gasping. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    How is the lil one today??

3. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    Did any pip yet? I still have 4 wiggling and rocking but no pips. 1 of them has been wiggling for 6 days now.
    Did you candle? Im too nervous to.....I have never done that. I'm starting to worry about mine. Hope things are progressing for you!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have no idea but I know I lost one that pipped just before lockdown and it expired trying to hatch on Day 27/28....one hatch on the 28th and nothing now at day 30...still have 6 eggs in there. No wobbling and no pipping.

5. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Well I helped it a little--waited 9 hours still no progress, so I helped again and the membrane started bleeding a bit, so I put it back in the incubator. Two others have pipped, but they aren't doing anything since pipping. I feel aweful for my first duckling.

6. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    The first little duckling finished the hatch itself and is cruising the incubator. She (hopeful thinking) looks perfect! Six others have pipped and are peeping. Today is day 27! Thanks for all of the encouragement.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am happy they are doing well...

8. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    [​IMG]
    Sounds like they are on their way!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    To answer the original question... I see my ducklings moving around the membrane of the air cell DAYS before they actually pip the outer shell. And then I have yet to have a duckling hatch before 48 hours of being externally pipped. They are excruciatingly slow @[email protected]

10. Blooming chicks

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Quote:That is so good to know, I think I over reacted by trying to help my little duck out--hopefully she will remain OK. She still seems very weak--but she just just hatch out, so I won't panic about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by