I SEE VEINS!! Ongoing thread~*~ on day 8 now, with pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    So I had set 6 eggs previously...day 5 I saw nothing.so I decided to open one...fertilized bullseye and that was it. Waited 2 more days..nothing on the rest, so I opened them too. All fertile bullseyes except for one that looked like a day 1 or 2 quitter. I opened these to try and learn what I was seeing...I'm learning. I then read about still airs needing to be at 101* so I upped temps and added 2 more eggs..and this morning on day 3 I see vwins on one. I could tell before I got the light all the way onto the egg that it had a completely different look, than the previous eggs had...and sure enough there are veins. I have 3 more eggs that I set on the fourth. I have my fingers crossed for at least one more friend for this lil one that's in there.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Dude. Get your hands outta there! LOL!! [​IMG]

You may have fewer quitters if you stop shaking them like Christmas presents!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, congrats on your possible chickies to be! Hatching is sooooo addiciting, right?

3. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    LoL I really didn't candle but a couple times. I candled at 4 days and nothing...so yes I checkes. I candled these because I was curious. Mainly because my male is only 15 wks old and my hens only been laying for a few weeks. So I wasn't sure. I did wait til she was laying regular eggs. LoL

But hand turning does not help with the urge to candle. LoL

4. k&c poultry

k&c poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    I see veins too at day 4 but my temp on the lg is 99.5 but I'm not to sure about what the humity should be????

5. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Eeeck Day 5.....yesterday I could easily make out the heart beating. Today I candled and took a pic, as my 10 year old wants to do a scrapbook to take back to school. Today I can see a dark spot where the eye is pigmenting, I can just barely see the heart beating now, as the lil one is not as see through. I'm posting from my phone, will post a pic when I log on from the computer.

Its still the only one showing development. I have a couple younger eggs in there, hoping at least one of thoae does something, or that I can quickly get some hatching eggs in. I hate for this lil one to have to go it alone, at introduction to flock time (way in the future, but trying to think ahead)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Isn't it addicting? I remember when I first saw veins. I was sooo excited. I want to see my babies all the time! lol. I just went 5 whole days without candling. [​IMG]

My babies are due July 15. My husband tells me to leave them alone.
    I just keep wanting reassurance that they are alive I guess. This is my first hatch. 4 more days and I go into lockdown...[​IMG] I can't take the suspense!! lol

7. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    We have 3 that should be hatching as soon as today. I can hardly stand it! Good luck to everyone!

8. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    It is so addicting. This is my first hatch, we did a couple of duck hatches when I was little...not much success in that. LoL. Yes id love to see the lil ones whenever I wanted, I eyeballed that small Brinsea bater that the candler attaches to, for a while...but it only holds 3 regular chicken eggs.

9. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Hi everyone....have a happy baby chick bouncing in an egg. [​IMG] still LOL. Looks like 3 others, from the younger batch are developing as well. I'm super super excited.

Anyways here's pics, I took, up until last night. haven't taken any today. Took a cool vid last night of the little bugger bouncing all around, I'll see if I can clip it and post it a lil later on.

[​IMG]

10. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    good luck!!
    i lost my frist batch to low humity and low temps [​IMG] . i have a lg too ,this time so far all is well [​IMG] due to hatch on friday i cant wait
    i ve been running my temps at 101.3-102.0 temp @ Humity 35-45% till last 3 days 60-70 %
    have a wonderful hatch!!
    send more pictures they are great!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by