I see veins!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hart31, Feb 5, 2008.

1. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't wait [​IMG]
    I was turning eggs last night on day 4 and the candling box was right beside the incubator. The temptation was too great! [​IMG]

I candled 2 spitzhauben eggs and could clearly see veins! [​IMG]

I candled 1 silkie egg whcih was one of only 4 with no obvious cracks from a shipment of 16. The others were frozen and cracked open. I really don't have any expectations for these 4 but you have to try [​IMG] I could only see what might be a bacterial ring forming. [​IMG]

I will be out of town on days 7, 8, & 9. Should I candle everything the evening of day 6 and get rid of the suspects or take a chance and wait until day 10?

I'm adding about 2 cups of water to the incubator every day and boiling a couple of gallons into the air in an electric frying pan in the room with the incubator and still dropping under 30% humidity in the incubator for part of every day. My neighbor said I could borrow a room humidifier which he hadn't used since his wife passed away. I brought it home but then discovered that it was a dehumidifier! [​IMG]

I think I'll be ok on the chicken eggs but I have a few muscovy eggs in the bator too. I have an old Sears & Roebuck glavanized incubator set up in the basement I will move the muscovy eggs to as soon as I get the temp set. The room humidity is better in the basement and should be easier to keep the bator humidity up too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wait until day 10, you should be able to tell for sure by then [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd wait til day 10 too....maybe if you put a small wet sponge in you can get the humidity up ...even in the high 30s would be ok for the first 18 days....

4. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    Quote:I'm putting a wet rag every time we turn eggs and getting humidity spikes of to the upper 40s and probably averaging around 40. I should be ok for now. If I can't get the room humidity up somewhat I'll have to take the back off of the incubater and add a sponge of two to the water pan before day 18. I add water to the pan through a tube in the side of the cabinet.

My water pan is just a couple of thicknesses of aluminum foil with the edges turned up to make a shallow pan. I had initially used a 9x13 cake pan but the high sides deflected the air upwards right in front of the fan and caused about a 5 degree temperature variation from one side of the incubator to the other. Using the aluminum foil allowed me to make a larger pan for more suface area with only a 1/2 inch sidewall and solved the temp differential problem. [​IMG] Still not quite enough surface area though and I can't see the water level in the pan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by