I shot a video of introducing incubated hatchlings to a broody hen.

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
I've read lots of posts about how to do it, if it can be done, etc... just wanted to show you how easy it is.

Momma hen hatched out 3 and I hatched out 8 in my bator (she couldn't cover all of the eggs) As her babies hatched I put them in the brooder with the other newly hatched chicks so she would continue to sit on her eggs. After they all hatched, I gathered them up an took them out to meet their mommy
smile.png

-please pay no mind to my baby talk... I can't help it
tongue.png

I checked on them a couple hours later

A few tips to consider when introducing chicks to a broody.

#1 THE HEN MUST BE EXPECTING!! This means that not only does she have to be broody but she also has to be ready. A week and a half in the nest is usually enough time.

#2 Giving the hen the chicks at night time is usually best as the hen is sleepy and isn't really aware of what's going on...and when morning comes she has babies!

I like doing it during the day because I don't like waiting up to check every 30 min to make sure momma is still on them. I cannot sleep til Im sure:) but you should know in the first few moments if the hen accepts them as her own. If she does not, she will peck at them. Some like to seperate mom and chicks from the rest of the flock. I haven't had any real problems with this... a bit of pecking but most things work itself out as the chicks learn who is excepting of them and who isn't.

#3 Make sure they are all on the floor of the coop. If they are up high, one may jump down then momma hen will jump down to show it the food leaving some chicks in the nest.

Last edited:
o and how many do u let her sit on at a time....mines on 6 right now......just curious.....today is day 19 for the bator and i dont reallly know for the broody lol....im just hoping to be surprised with chicks one day? i hope....................
hmm.png

Quote:
Hey Kaylee, my little girl could only cover 3 very eggs!! when I had more out there, I could feel the ones on the outside were cold. How long has she been broody? Im sure she'll take the chicks... just take hers away from her if they hatch early and put them in a brooder. Give her some blanks to sit on to keep her broody then when they are all hatched out, return them.

Tip for incubating these suckers... I spoke with the breeder where I got mine and told him about the problems I've had hatching them... that broodies do a fine job but incubating them has been a nightmare. I've had to help almost all of them. He said they like it raining in the bator.. so 70% humidity is where you want to be. If they pip the air cell (you hear peeping) but can't get through the shell, pip a small hole and peek in there. (Mine were all shrink- wrapped and drying up) so... you may have to help them out.

Quote:
Hey Kaylee, my little girl could only cover 3 very eggs!! when I had more out there, I could feel the ones on the outside were cold. How long has she been broody? Im sure she'll take the chicks... just take hers away from her if they hatch early and put them in a brooder. Give her some blanks to sit on to keep her broody then when they are all hatched out, return them.

Tip for incubating these suckers... I spoke with the breeder where I got mine and told him about the problems I've had hatching them... that broodies do a fine job but incubating them has been a nightmare. I've had to help almost all of them. He said they like it raining in the bator.. so 70% humidity is where you want to be. If they pip the air cell (you hear peeping) but can't get through the shell, pip a small hole and peek in there. (Mine were all shrink- wrapped and drying up) so... you may have to help them out.

Mine on at least six and she cant cover the stupid things very well....I tried to push some under her better, but she didnt really care for that lol......you talked me into trying ONE more time.....with 70% humidity.....Only problem is I have no idea how long I'll have to wait for more eggs since shes broody and all.....Butthead! Nothing ever goes right with these brats! I dont know how you managed to get ANY!!!!!! LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!!!!!!!!

ooooooo and how long before I get to take mine hehe
im sooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom