1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I should have been more patient....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carey34, May 5, 2009.

1. carey34

carey34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southern NH
    I bought an LG because I could walk into the feed store and get one and I had decided I was going to start incubating eggs over the weekend. I wish I had gotten something, anything else. This thing is driving me NUTS. I cannot keep the temp stable, humidity is fine, but everytime I got in that room the temp is way up or way down and no one has touched it. It is in a room the temp doesnt rapidly change. If I order a different incubator can I safely move eggs to it after getting it set up and running it for a while? Is the Genesis the way to go?

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Fortunately, our feed store carries HovaBator. I have 2 now and absolutely love them. I would love to have a GQF Sportsman, but really don't need one that big, so these are perfect for me. Take it back, get your money and get a HovaBator 1588, circulated air with auto turner. Good luck!!

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588 and I have no trouble keeping the temp stable. I can't say about other models, but if I were you, I'd go with a Hovabator.

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Order the new one then when it comes pack that one up take it back and tell them it wouldn't hold temp. and get your money back. Thats what I would do. Good luck!

5. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I have an LG and I never have a problem with the temp. It is very sensitive but once I get mine set I have no problem. It will vary a degree or two especially after I have added water. Other than that, I've had good luck. Make sure you keep it out of drafty areas, and out of direct sunlight.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Gosh, everyone has that complant about the LG.

Well, I think everyone has their own reasons for buying different incubators. I chose a Brower Top hatch for the ease of cleaning (throw in dishwasher) and for the children to easily see what's going on a hatch time. I don't open the top to fill with water and I don't have to buy different trays for different size eggs and it's price runs about the same as the Genesis. Actually, I bought it from someone on the board for $120.00 shipping included. But, this is what suited my needs and, what was recommended to me by several breeders.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have to say that I am having really good luck so far with the Hovabator 1602. Got it off the shelf at the co-op when the 1588 I ordered wasn't going to show up in time. It is holding temps with only 1 degree of fluctuation. Humidity has been constant as well.
    Plus side on the 1588 is that everything is preset. I did futz with the 1602 for about a day just figuring it out. The plus for the 1602 is definitely cost. Mine was $50. The 1588 was going to be about $130. Huge difference!

Good luck! This is my first hatch with an incubator and I have to admit that I check the darn thing constantly. [​IMG]

8. carey34

Apr 18, 2009
    Southern NH
    I am just so frustrated I even ran it for over 24 hours first trying to get it near the right temp!! If I order the hovabator can I move my eggs over? I do then plan on boxing the LG back up and taking it back I still have the receipt.

I have the LG on my dinning room table and my house is draftless. Energy star approved new build. just grrrrrring over this and I so want my lil chickies to hatch.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Sure you can move them into it, just set it up and run it for 24 hours once its steady put the eggs in and go get you money back. I used a lg 1 time, it was ok but I put it in the closet so the temp in the room was pretty steady.

10. carey34

Apr 18, 2009
    Southern NH
    The Top Hatch looks great! I might have to do some more research on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by