I shouldn't be this excited...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarrieW, Aug 16, 2010.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I got my first chickens last year, so I'm not a new chicken mom...

...but I got a new batch of 25 chicks from MPC this spring, included were some Marans, AND ONE OF THEM GAVE ME AN EGG TODAY!!!
    It is the most perfect pullet sized dark brown egg I have ever seen! They are exactly 18 weeks old today. It's not like I don't get eggs everyday from my older chickens, but I scared the poor 'new' girls today doing a happy dance in their coop. Feeling a little foolish now for getting so excited.

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    wtg on the newby, I have 1 laying hen and 1 of my pullets started laying last tuesday I know how ya feel, so proud of the baby layer

3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    what breed of maran did you get the dark brown egg from?

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I get excited each time I check the nest boxes....call me a chicken dork. [​IMG]

5. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Congrats! [​IMG]

6. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I want a maran....!! Congratulations!

7. CarrieW

CarrieW Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    She is a Silver Cuckoo Maran, and her name is Betsy.

8. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I'm impatiently waiting for my girls to start laying, too! I have a Silver Cuckoo Marans as well. Her name is Mary and she's 14 weeks old. Plus, I have a Black Copper Marans roo and pullet that are 8 weeks old. My last hatch gave me a pair (roo & pullet) of Blue Marans and a pair of Splash Marans. I'm planning on keeping the BCM and Blue Marans roos for my flock. I have to find homes for the Splash roo plus a White Marans roo that's the age of my BCM pair. Hey, if anyone wants Marans roos, let me know! I was so taken by their dark brown eggs I just had to get more!!!!!

9. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Really? Wow that gives me hope. I purchased some silver cuckoo marans from MYP for the dark eggs. After I purchased them I was told that they wouldn't lay dark eggs. Yay! Thanks for posting that :) they are now a few weeks old, probably close to a month.

10. CarrieW

CarrieW Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I have a question... After getting my first egg from one of my Marans on Monday, I have since gotten 2 more, so that leads me to believe that both Marans are laying, 1 last night and another one this morning. So the question is, should I take my Marans out of their coop and put them in my other coop with my already laying chickens? (yes, I have 2 coops and want another for more chicks next year, lol). I want the Marans to have everything they need, layer pellets, oyster shell, etc... which is not in the teenager coop. Plus I figure my big girls could show them what a nesting box is used for, they are laying on the ground. Thanks in advance to everyone on this wonderful forum!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by