I shouldn't be this excited...

CarrieW

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Durango, CO
I got my first chickens last year, so I'm not a new chicken mom...

...but I got a new batch of 25 chicks from MPC this spring, included were some Marans, AND ONE OF THEM GAVE ME AN EGG TODAY!!!
It is the most perfect pullet sized dark brown egg I have ever seen! They are exactly 18 weeks old today. It's not like I don't get eggs everyday from my older chickens, but I scared the poor 'new' girls today doing a happy dance in their coop. Feeling a little foolish now for getting so excited.

I get excited each time I check the nest boxes....call me a chicken dork.
tongue.png

I'm impatiently waiting for my girls to start laying, too! I have a Silver Cuckoo Marans as well. Her name is Mary and she's 14 weeks old. Plus, I have a Black Copper Marans roo and pullet that are 8 weeks old. My last hatch gave me a pair (roo & pullet) of Blue Marans and a pair of Splash Marans. I'm planning on keeping the BCM and Blue Marans roos for my flock. I have to find homes for the Splash roo plus a White Marans roo that's the age of my BCM pair. Hey, if anyone wants Marans roos, let me know! I was so taken by their dark brown eggs I just had to get more!!!!!

Really? Wow that gives me hope. I purchased some silver cuckoo marans from MYP for the dark eggs. After I purchased them I was told that they wouldn't lay dark eggs. Yay! Thanks for posting that :) they are now a few weeks old, probably close to a month.

I have a question... After getting my first egg from one of my Marans on Monday, I have since gotten 2 more, so that leads me to believe that both Marans are laying, 1 last night and another one this morning. So the question is, should I take my Marans out of their coop and put them in my other coop with my already laying chickens? (yes, I have 2 coops and want another for more chicks next year, lol). I want the Marans to have everything they need, layer pellets, oyster shell, etc... which is not in the teenager coop. Plus I figure my big girls could show them what a nesting box is used for, they are laying on the ground. Thanks in advance to everyone on this wonderful forum!!!

Back
Top Bottom