I Silkie Killed, 1 left

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anndkovan, Feb 27, 2017.

1. anndkovan

anndkovan New Egg

Feb 27, 2017
    I have 3 Buffs, a RIR and 2 Silkies. Well, now I only have one silkie because the other was killed today by, I'm fairly certain, by the other hens. The Silkies were introduced to the flock at the same time and younger than the rest. They have been an inseparable pair in the yard. One got broody and has been in the coop a lot, leaving the other to roam the yard on her own. Now that I only have the one, and she is vulnerable in the coop...im afraid they will kill her too. What do I do?? We love our Silkies and I'm broken hearted/traumatized.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry. I always advise not keeping bantam and standard breeds together, especially silkies. They act differently and are a very meek breed usually. I would make a separate coop for her and any others you may add as she will need a few friends, and potentially could hatch a few. I have had crested birds killed by the other chickens in the past and learned the hard way too.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! So sorry for your loss, and I agree with OldHen on this. It's possible that a predator killed your Silkie; they are the most vulnerable, by far, birds in your flock. I do have bantams and standard birds together in my flock, but never Silkies, and no production reds either. Bad combination, in my experience. If you want Silkies, have them separated from your big birds. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by