1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I slaughtered my first chicken today. Asian style (Graphic Pictures)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Roosterfry, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    I learned from my step grandfather who is from China, he has slaughtered hundreds of chickens in his day I'm sure, it was interesting. He said now I'm a professional, and we didn't waste much at all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    can you explain how you did it

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I would love to know how you did it, too. I'm always looking for new ways to use up the parts we traditional don't think of as edible.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I figure a cleaned out gizzard, the heart and liver are rewards for my dog for being so loving.

I throw away the intestines and the crop and the skin with the feathers.

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    We keep the gizzard, liver, heart, and lungs. If you have never fried lungs, you have to do it at least once. They balloon up into these tiny round balls that end up tasting like the gizzard/heart.

I throw away the crop and intestines, but have found an Asian recipe that uses the intestines. You clean them out completely, slice them long-ways so they are opened up and look a lot like flat noodles, then cook them in boiling water for 15-30 seconds. They were served with rice and...I can't remember what else.

As far as I'm concerned if I'm going to spend all of the time dressing out an animal I'm going to get as much out of it as possible (that still tastes good, obviously [​IMG]. I'd like to find a use for everything, whether it be food, fish bait, decoration, or whatever else.

7. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:I use to stir-fry the livers until I realized the liver is the bodies filter for everything which may not be so good for humans. Livers are also extremely high in cholesterol.

8. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Ok just got back to a computer. I have plenty of pictures but some im not sure what im allowed or not allowed to put on this forum, i havent read all the rules yet. [​IMG] I'm gonna give u the story from begining to end. Started off by having a boiling pot of water ready and a sharp knife and a bowl. I stepped on the rooster's feet and grabbed him by the head, cut into it's neck directly below the beak. It started to bleed out I collected the blood into a bowl, only took about 1 minute. We then dipped the chicken fully under water feet and all for a couple seconds and swished it around. Took the bird inside and completely de-feathered it beak to butt, then removed beak, then skin from feet, comb, and even tongue! [​IMG] and at this point I was mainly just watching. He mixed the blood with a little salt and put it to the side to let it settle for a couple hours. He then removed the guts, but saved the gizzard,liver, what appeared to be the small intestine (it was the first tube leaving the gizzard) [​IMG] He did do what another post said by opening it up with a knife and cleaning it out, I believe he ended up adding it to the broth/soup pot. He saved the head feet and those other parts i mentioned to place that into the sort of soup/broth. The other part of the chicken was cut up into pieces with bones into hunks. Then my grandmother got a huge skillet and put some sort of oil into it about 1/4 in. seared the chicken with soy sauce, garlic salt, and a pinch of MSG then covered to fully cook, then served on rice. All the other parts were placed in to the soup mixture wich was just water and a lil salt. The chicken was fantastic! [​IMG] it was a welsummer roo about 5 months old. a lil tougher than what u buy at the store but... taste like chicken! [​IMG] I did try a bit of the chicken toe... was actually good, no funky taste just kinda fatty and I tasted part of the comb, sort of bland and chewy but not bad. Now the blood on the other hand was poured into the broth mixture and it conjealed together and made a gross solid patty thing upon contact with the boiling wate [​IMG] i had to try it... i almost barfed. it's even hard to type this part! it tasted like salty blood [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] Ok here comes the funny part aparently my father and step mother made some sort of bet and my father was dared to eat all the meat on the head area! [​IMG] Aparently what he would earn by eating this was pretty good. He was not real excited about this but disected all the meat from the head and removed the bones and after several attempts managed to get it all down with out hurling! lol... then as we were all laughing at my father my step grandfather, who is about 80 laughed so hard he fell backwards bringing the broth/soup pot down all over him when it was boiling hot! amazingly he was ok and got up burned and a little banged up but still laughing [​IMG] i have pictures of all this.....

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    you can post the pics, just add (graphic pictures) to your title and your good to go!

10. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Wait... somebody please explain to me how to add pics to this thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by