I smell chickens!

gotchooks?

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Southeast Michigan
It's been raining and DAMP for the last few days, and I've noticed I can smell the chicken coop as soon as I walk out my back door. My coop is located about 50 feet from the house. I've been using the deep litter method with DE, and have never had any problems with odor before (I started with fresh pine shavings in May) I went into the coop this morning to make sure the litter was dry. It was, so I'm wondering if I should change it. For those that use the deep litter method, do you smell the coop more in damp weather? It's not unpleasant (to me), it's just...there.

I have noticed the same thing here too. We've had lots of rain lately too. I think it's probably normal and won't be so bad when it quits raining. I'm not worried about it.

Yep, when it gets damp you have some anaerobic, (no oyxgen), conditions in the deep layers and it starts to ferment, hence the smell. You can use a pitch fork and turn it a bit to disturb the layers and get some air under there, also mix in a bit of lime,,and that should kill the odor. Works like a charm for me in Fl with all this liquid sunshine...lol

Chip

Last edited:
Yeah,,, here in Arkansas too. But the scent of mine has faded. I had my sister come over( she has a great sniffer) and she couldn't smell it anymore,,,,give it time,,,,
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
big_smile.png

I noticed a smell here too with all of the rain. But upon closer inspection, it seems to be coming from the chicken run and not from the coop itself. If your litter is dry, it may possibly be the wet ground around the coop that is the culpret.

Back
Top Bottom