I Sold my ducks today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I had a real nice family come down today and pick up 40 of my Muscovies today. It was a little sad to see so many go but it was also a HUGE relief. Last week I bought four 50lb bags of feed and it was gone within 6 days! [​IMG]

The ended up leaving with
    25 brooder babies ($3/ea)
    13 three month olds ($115/all)
    1 six month old Silver drake ($20)

The saddest part was knowing that they planned to eat some of them later on [​IMG] . But considering some of the A-holes I have run into in the past when selling my birds, I was beyond happy with this family. I held the babies for him while he bought and set up a couple new sheds and brooders and got all of the things they would need to be comfortable and keep them good and healthy. He asked lots of questions and he even passed my test when i was boxing the babies...(i added a few too many to one box and he was obviously, instantly concerned about overcrowding) That made me happy knowing that he really cared about the welfare of them, even on a short ride home. He even turned on the AC for them.

I guess they had talked to a couple other people in the area but werent ready for the birds yet and werent all that happy with their living conditions. His mother & sister(i think) were just all "ohhs & awws" over the babies and going on and on about how they looked like such healthy birds... he also seemed a little suprised when he picked the box of babies up and it was kinda heavy, lol.

It sucks i had to sell them but I guess if i had to sell them to someone that was planning to eat some i couldnt have asked for a nicer person/family & i am just really happy that they cared so much about the birds. i do think they'll be very well cared for and get lots of attention by the rest of his family [​IMG]

2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

It sucks i had to sell them but I guess if i had to sell them to someone that was planning to eat some i couldnt have asked for a nicer person/family & i am just really happy that they cared so much about the birds. i do think they'll be very well cared for and get lots of attention by the rest of his family

[​IMG]

Yes, it does suck, big time. I am glad you found a good family to care for them.
    I want to thank you for sharing your pictures with us during the time you had them.
    What a pleasure to see such happy, healthy beautiful ducks.

From a wannabe duck owner/carer,

Beth​

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

You're very welcome, i love sharing pictures of all my babies [​IMG] I had a pretty hard time with it after i set it all up with the guy. I was so hard looking at them and playing with them all knowing they were all going and what some of their futures might be. I guess i just needed to vent a little because of that part. It's almost easier (but still HARD!!) selling them as babies rather than holding onto them and watching them grow into their colors and then having to say goodbye. [​IMG]

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I feel ya.I sold 40 mixed duckling's year before last because I went insane hatching them.I sold so many babie's that year but still had wayyyyyyy too many left for winter.They went to our local Amish and they put them on their community pond.I know they have been well cared for.I just sold All of my mallard hen's and 2 drakes again this time a couple week's Ago.I still have 5 pekin 5 mallard drakes and a cuyuga mix.I may sell a couple more of the mallard's yet.DH says he not even looking at a duckling next spring.They are dependant eater's in winter and can get very expensive.We have to keep ours trained to sleep in area at night or will be fox or coyote food.

5. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I know the feeling Bleenie. I sold 30 of ducklings last week. They were 1-3 weeks old? Roughtly. $5 a piece. I knew the guy was going to eat them but I kept telling myself oh maybe not cuz he didnt say anything about it when I talked to him on the phone. Well right when he got there he was like yea I'm going to eat them. I felt horrible. But it was nice having the $150 in my purse. He wants me to call him as soon as I get more. I know he is a for sure sale but I really don't want them to get eaten. lol This is really a bad hobby for me!

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The guy I sold mine to was really respectful towards me, I made it pretty clear that they're just pets, i don't eat them and my girls just kinda went nuts this year hatching babies. He had asked a few questions about some that we decided not to sell and after we told him we were keeping some certain colors he seemed more interested in the colors of the other birds and was asking about the big drake he had bought. He said he plans to keep him for a breeder... His mother came over and was petting him too so i am sure he'll be stickign around for quite a while [​IMG]

$210 was nice too but i immediately went to the feed store and filled up my feed bin! lol, those babies were quite the hogs.

Quote:

7. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:
    Yea mine went right back into feed too. I needed to clear out babies though I have many more coming. I'm going to be a little more selective this time around I think.

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Bleenie. I know that you're heart has to be torn in two. Feed prices are outrageous!

We've been very lucky as our feed for our ducks this summer has been small compared to what it could have been this winter. Most of our ducks free range, especially our Muscovy's who delight on mice, snakes, lizards, and the various bugs they eat. Plus all the vegetation they devour.

We recently sold our entire Runner flock as a spur of the moment sale. A man came to purchase some Runner ducklings and wanted to know what I wanted for my entire flock. Jokingly, I told him $400. He pulled out a wad of cash and handed it to me.

Runners are his favorite and he wanted an instant flock instead of just having the ducklings. So he drove away with all my Runners. We found a nest of eggs under the duck house so I have 30 eggs in the incubator which will give me a new flock.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by