1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I sold my first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Yay me! Today when I dropped my boys off at preschool I was talking about my chickens and one of the ladies asked me to bring her 2 dozen eggs. Well when Lily (my 2 yr old) and I walked into the school with eggs I have so many people wanting eggs I don't think I will be eating eggs for awhile. I need almost 12 dozen just to fill orders of people that want them. I am so excited my DH was just making the comment that I was never going to make any $$$ to off set feed cost if I always give my family and neighbors eggs but I guess they are definitely going to have to wait now! My DH is going to be happy with me tonight!

2. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Neat! [​IMG]

3. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    WAY TO GO

once they know, they will buy!

COOL

Your in business farmer gal!

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

A great big CONGRATS!!! to you!

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Congratulations!!![​IMG]

Sounds like your new business is off and running!!

Cindy

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Congrats!!

Can I ask how much you sell them for per dozen?

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I sold them for $1.50 per dozen. Not alot but enough to help with feed cost!

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Absolutely! I'm sure your new customers are thrilled to be getting farm fresh eggs at such a reasonable price.

9. GrowingonFaithFarm

GrowingonFaithFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Prospect, TN
    Awesome! I am thrilled to here you are getting so many from just 9 hens! I have 8 who have yet to lay and six who have chosen to mostly take the winter months off. I hope to sell some as well so it is nice to know there is a market. I have tried to figure out what to charge when I finally do have extra eggs and so far just to make a little profit I think I would have to charge $2.00 per dozen and that is from the farm, but then my chickens seem to eat a lot more than the average bear [​IMG].

Congrats!

10. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I just started selling mine at the local smoke shop (smoked meat that is). I'm selling them to the store for $3.00 per dozen and they are selling them retail for $4.99. Its what this market will bear. We live near a ski resort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by