1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I started a chick riot today - LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thekla, Apr 17, 2009.

1. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

I got home from the grocery store and pinched off the top bits from the broccoli crowns that I bought and wedged a couple in the wire for them to nibble, but dropped one small chunk (tiny) on the floor of the brooder... they didn't notice the ones in the wire, but one of the gang (26 straight run heavies from McMurry plus their free rare, and 5 GLW, 3 SLW, and 3 BR pullets from a local feed store) grabbed the bit and took off...riot ensued as they raced around passing the bit back and forth with everyone peeping like mad - I took the rest and broke it down into tiny bits and tossed them into the melee, so soon had numerous streaking chicks racing around with bits while the rest chased and grabbed. By then I'm laughing so hard I can hardly break up the last chunk. They devouered every tiny bit and had a blast chasing around the brooder before they finally decided it was time for a groom and a nap... several hopping up onto the former CD rack made of wood dowels that my brother donated when I told him I wanted to make them a low roost (that someone here on the forum suggested) it is the perfect size and height for the little ones. They were correct when they said that chicks were better than TV.

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL...VERY cute... My Big'uns (3 & 4 wk) scratched up a one-inch piece of 1/4" thick stick and were playing football for quite a while....TACKLE football!!

3. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    how old are the chicks??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by