I started a page of Chicken Proof Plants

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by squeakyballs, Sep 4, 2010.

1. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22588-chicken-proof-plants

I know it isn't much yet, but I went nuts a few months ago trying to figure out what I could add to mine. I thought it might be easier if it was all listed in the same place.

Does someone already have a master list? If so, I can delete this one.

Otherwise... What am I missing? Does anyone have pictures of plants in their chicken run that I can add?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Cool.

The only things that grow unmolested in my chicken pens are tall weeds. I don't know the names of most of them. Only poke and mullein. But they grow quite well and I cut paths through them, leaving shady patches for the girls to hide in. That was really nice this summer, when the heat was ridiculous.

3. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Mine don't bother foliage from bulbs such as: daffodil, narcissus, onions, garlic, crinum. I also have a few plants in my butterfly garden that haven't been touched: a couple varieties of sages, duranta, rue, firebush.

Beth

4. squeakyballs

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks you two, I'll add them to the list!

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Comfrey? My chickens devour the leaves on my comfrey plants, leaving nothing but a few stripped stalks.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My DW has plots of Cannas in the barn lots & the chickens use them for shade, but the chickens or horses don't bother them.

7. squeakyballs

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:It says mixed results [​IMG] Someone said they didn't touch theirs, but then someone else said the same as you! Friggen chickens!

8. themagicash

themagicash Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Austin
    My ladies wont touch morning glory vine, mint, or Turks Cap.

9. squeakyballs

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you, I updated it [​IMG]

10. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Quote:i heard that morning glory is poisonous??? any one know for sure? i would love to plant morning glory along my run because its a fast grower and does well with low water.

if it is poisonous, any ideas on a fast growing vine?? full sun??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by