I started my new chicken tractor for my meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by steveo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I got my chicken tractor started last night and am now just waiting for the rest of my hardware cloth to arrive on Thursday. After that I will install the rest of the hardware cloth and tarp on one end. The birds should be in there by Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. taras.farm

taras.farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Eastern Ontario
    Verry very cool...Can you come build me one?[​IMG]
    Getting more meat birds this year but still not ready....last years set up sucked so I'm always interested in seeing what others come up with...
    Like to see the finished set up.

3. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Looks awesome. I'm working on ours right now too. Zip ties rule the universe!

Where did you find the corner connectors?

4. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Just wondering how those PVC pipe pens do as far as predators. We have a rouge fox that I'd be worried about digging under, but I really love the idea and the design of that type of tractor. Does it get weighed down with anything either to keep it from blowing away? Thanks!

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Nice. PVC rocks for building stuff with.
    My greenhouse was pvc until the snow crushed it.

Where did ya order the pvc adaptors?

6. Dogwood Farm

Dogwood Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I love working with pvc pipe. I have a Cockatoo and I've made her play gyms out of hit.

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's mine- I didn't put the "feeder" in the middle, because I saw nothing structurally important about it, and I couldn't see how it would be useful as a feeder either. I added sliding wheels on the back, which makes it easier to move without putting too much stress on the structure. I put my birds out at 2.5 weeks, because I got sick of smelling them in the barn. I cover the whole thing on cold nights with the orange tarp. In one of the inside corners, I put two heatlamps. My 52 birds are doing GREAT so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Looks good jaku. I cant wait until mine is finished. Did you use snap clamps to hold your tarp on?

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nope- I used drywall screws with washers underneath as grommets. Those snapclamps were too expensive, and I wasn't sure how many would be needed, so I didn't get them. I LOVE this tractor though.

10. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Quote:Looks great! what are the dimensions of your tractor? How many birds will it hold?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by