I Stepped on my baby chick accidentally! Help Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Awsomechickens, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Awsomechickens

Awsomechickens New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    So I just had my 2 chicks playing around and then I suddently stepped on one by accident. I started to cry because he had a hole in his chest and he kept opening and closing his eyes. I think his heart was kind of pushed out so i started freaking our. I dont know how to help him...please help!

2. alyssaallycat

alyssaallycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    From what it sounds like it sounds pretty far gone... but clean any open wounds with some antibacterial first aid spray, check for broken bones, and put it in isolation. Help it drink by holding it to the water if it survives a day and watch for infection (it's a death sentence in chicks) Bandage if nessesary. I hope it makes it!!!

3. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is the chick bleeding? If s/he is I would separate him/her from the others so s/he doesn't get pecked at. If you are really desperate I would bring her/him to the nearest vet and see what they can do.

4. alyssaallycat

Feb 14, 2016
    Not all vets treat chicks.... as I learned very unfortantly in a very urgent situation. Clean and banage wounds with first aid, put the chick in isolation, then try calling vets in your area if they treat chicks.

5. Awsomechickens

Awsomechickens New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks guys for the help. My chick eventually died. At first I felt horrible and was sobbing but then when I saw the wound had gotten worse I knew he was in anbetter place. Thanks again!

6. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  7. alyssaallycat

Feb 14, 2016
    I'm so sorry. Hug your other chicks and know that this chick didn't die in pain.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by