i still need paint help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 7, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i posted another thread with my coop pics but no one is answering................... how should i paint my coop?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Are you asking for color ideas or more basic info.?

I used enamel exterior paint for the inside and out because it will stand up to the elements and is more durable and easier to clean then interior paint. I paid full price for the paint I used on the exterior because I wanted it to look nice and match the other out buildings, but I found $5 a gallon oopsie paint at HD for the inside.

ETA: I also put lino on the floor and didn't move the chooks into their new digs for a week after it was done so the glue and paint odor could clear out and not cause them any problems.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    im talking about paint colors.. our paint does match the house.. and icky brown 70's color but i dont want it toooo... color ideas?

4. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You could go with a nice barn red and use the brown for trim so it would still look like it goes with the house, or a dark green with brown trim...

5. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I wonder if your house is "Oxford Brown"? I remember my mom having our house painted that color (icky is the right word) and my dad going nuts because he hated it.

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    its some 70's throw up worthy color.... we WILL paint it.. i think red with white trim?? not original.... i like bright colors but nothing gawdy..

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    help?

8. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I chose a really dark green for the purpose of it blending in with the yard and not sticking out like a sore thumb. The run was left unpainted, with 1/2" mesh up the side, then 2x4 mesh coated in black vinyl up the rest for the same purpose.

9. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    Maybe you could paint it colors that you would like to paint your house? Then one day if you paint your house, you can have it match then! Kind of a small scale trial...
    As for colors, we painted ours a light gray/light blue color with slightly off white trim and a wood stained door (maybe you could tie in the brown that way).

10. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i like the wood stain idea!! and i wont be choosing the paint for our house.... im 13 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by