I stopped my car, what I thought were chickens on the railroad tracks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Screebert, May 20, 2008.

1. Screebert

Screebert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Oregon City, OR
    I assumed they were chickens that may have been abandoned on the railroad tracks! I got out, and called my standard call, "chicken!" I walked closer, and they weren't afraid of me at all. Then I saw they had red, featherless heads & necks. One of them stretched out his/her giant wingspan, and they all looked at me indignantly.

I think they were turkey vultures.

In Lake Oswego, Oregon, where Bryant st. crosses the railroad. About 7 pm.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    should have caught them and taken them home [​IMG]..... Wouldn't that have been fun..

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    lol well at least you didnt think a plastic bag was a chicken [​IMG]

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    LOL now that woul have been embarrassing now wouldnt it! Coming home with some turkey vultures LOL! I doubt you would have made the trip home comfortabley! LOL!

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Or that the white fuzzy slipper shaped like a chicken was a White Cochin bantam and you had to turn around and get it before it was hit by a car...

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Previously DuckLady! Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I used to live in the apartments right below the train tracks there on the corner. Before they built the condos that blocked my view of the trains I loved! That pizza place across the street is the BEST (or it was 7 years ago.)

Small world.
    Did you take pics?

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I once thought a cat that was washing its underside with one leg sticking up was a wild turkey. [​IMG]
    We have turkey vultures here. Everytime I happen upon one on the side of the road and see that neck I shudder. I wonder if that's why I'm not fond of turkens?

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I was taking my 2 sons skiing at Waterville Valley, on the access road to the mtn I see 2 horses in the distance on the side of the road. I was really worried and couldn't figure out how they would have gotten to that area...drive a little closer...they're moose! I was laughed at!

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Those are some pretty big chickens! What, did you think they were turkens on steroids? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by