I stressed out my chicken today and she laid this 'PICS'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy chook, Jul 25, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hi All, I moved three of my chickens this morning to a new coop with Roofus the rooster, these same chickens have been in with Roofus before and I have never had any problems. A few hours after I moved them i saw 'Honey' just standing there straining trying to lay and egg and out came this:

[​IMG]

It did have a full yolk inside but before I could grab it to take a photo Roofus tried to eat it....

Did this happen because she got stressed from moving her, both pens have huge runs and are side by side so all the chickens can still see each other. they also get let out every day to roam free, alternate morning or afternoons.

I will keep an eye on her but should I be really worried?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It was just a glitch in her system, she will be fine. It may or may not have been from the stress but I personally don't think so as far more stressful things happen to them (predator attacks etc) & the flock doen't all start laying weird eggs.

3. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Geez, I can't tell from the picture, but what is the casing? I mean, what is holding it all together?> That is the strangest thing I have ever seen. YEsterday, one of mine laid a one inch tear drop thingy, it had a yolk, crazy, but I kind of think it may have been her first egg. j

4. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    yes, any time chickens get upset they can lay strange eggs. there is a variety of strange things that can happen to the egg, shell-less looks like what you have and she should be over it by the next time. give her a bit of extra calcium maybe.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [email protected] :

Geez, I can't tell from the picture, but what is the casing? I mean, what is holding it all together?

It's the membrane that is usually inside the shell. The last step of egg formation got omitted. An interruption in the laying cycle was the likely culprit. The egg is formed in stages- yolk, albumin, membrane and shell. An interruption in any stage will result in a funky egg. Soft shells/ shell-less are the most common.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by