I strongly dislike wild mice *PICS*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Goat_Walker, May 3, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Came home yesterday and found three ducklings missing.I went to look for them in the pen, and all of a sudden my sister starts yelling at me. There was a five+ foot rat snake crawling across my mud boots, which were not even a foot away from the remaining ducklings.

I took a brick and aimed for its head, i hit my mark but he still got away. After scooping up mama and all her ducklings I lifted up the platform that keeps them off the ground.

Not only was there the 5fter ( with 3 lumps in his belly) but also a slightly smaller ( 4ft or so) rat snake as well.

Needless to say they are both dead and rotting on our burn pile, and mama and her babies were brought in and are now in a make shift pen in the back yard.

Because my first response brought it up, let me say this:
    I love snakes, but when my animals are put in danger by wild snakes or any other predator or pest, it will be taken care of.
    So, please, no telling me how bad I am or how great snakes are. I know how great they are while inside your home. But they are not great in my eyes when they are in MY home eating MY babies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Be prepared to get beat up on by the snake lovers.
    Maybe they should start a trap spay and release program for snakes too. [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I love domestic snakes, I really do. I would have a corn snake or two if it wasnt for the pet rats. [​IMG]
    Its just that when a wild animal comes in and eats my babies, it will pay. [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:.... the only place they SHOULD be in my opinion... [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    If I didnt have outside animals, I would welcome the snakes. It would get rid of my mouse problem. but thats not the case at the moment.

Edited for spelling

6. sm0kin

sm0kin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    i really love the modeling and poses with the snakes. very funny.

7. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I hate snakes [​IMG]

8. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I would have done the same. I keep wishing for gopher snakes to help me get those out of my yard... but then maybe they'd go after the chickens, too.

I'm glad that you were able to save your babies!

9. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    to make people mad... if I find a snake near my house or ducks/chickens i usually kill it... this week we have killed 3 large water maccasins (sp?) in my yard... I have children and I will not have them in my yard ... I did leave mt little garter snake friend alone... I have seen him twice this week...

10. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    I have a pet red tailed boa,and all I have to say about this is great pics and you go girl [​IMG] I lost my 17 year old little Dog Junior to a pair of water Moscin's about 2 weeks go today so now I hate snake and would love to find a home for the Red tailed boa,I have had a total change of heart the only good snake is a dead snake [​IMG] and don't care what anyone thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by