I struck gold today (pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sara, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Ok, well not really. However today was the first day in weeks I got more than one egg in a day. I've been lucky to get one every other day. I did a double take when I looked in the box. My two year old was thrilled to have an egg to put in each of his pockets.

[​IMG]

ETA: I just looked at the picture, and it looks like my hand is bigger than my child. How odd [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Very nice, I am starting to think my hen agree on the day they will lay. I usually get 1 a day from 5 hens. If I got 2, I would probably jump for joy.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Yeah, but the sad thing is I probably have at least 20 that should be laying [​IMG]

4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    It's still better than none. congratulations and hope you get more laying soon.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What does that say about the excitement level in our lives when we're excited about how many eggs we get in a day!!!! [​IMG]

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sara, it is the same way here! [​IMG] I kept mine in the chicken coop/run for several days, thinking they were hiding them on me [​IMG] But ended up still not finding more than two. I am up to four a day now and wondering how long it will last? Some are just getting their feathers back but only a few had a "shameful" looking moult. [​IMG]
    We are now down 43 degrees and expecting to go to 32 tonight and 28 tomorrow night. I have buff orps, ee's and cochins with seventeen week old spitz and hamburgs and a few mixed breeds thrown in there. don't know when the hamburgs and spitz should start laying but I assume any day now.
    I am ready for a bunch of eggs but they just won't cooperate [​IMG]

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I know I'm excited because I had to buy eggs at the store today. My older DS wants french toast casserole in the morning, and I didn't even have 8 eggs to make it.

I wouldn't have taken a picture of them, but I had the camera out to take a picture of the newest calf. I'll have to post them tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    dont feel bad for not getting a lot of eggs my girls 25 of them are 7 months old and I am getting between 6 to 9 a day (closer to 6) from all 25 but they are increasing slowly even with that i cant give the eggs away fast enough. By the way where can i get some cheap cartons to purchase? anybody?

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am getting 1 to 3 a day from 11 hens ! so I am doing better then some ! I haven't bought eggs yet [​IMG] I don't know if I could eat them

Henry

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

i can't give the eggs away fast enough. By the way where can i get some cheap cartons to purchase?

Is there no one close to you who is willing to PURCHASE the eggs? I know about the giving; I give them to our pastor's family, some to friends or nearby family, and the rest I try to sell. If nothing else, before they've hung around very long, I scramble them and feed them to my inside birds and back to my chickens for the protein. I keep the eggshells on top of my Bun coffeemaker which stays hot all the time. The low gradual heat dries the shells w/o burning them, and I crush them up until they're very fine, then scatter them in the run w/ the scratch. The hens LOVE it, and get their own calcium back for more "yolk luggage" ! [​IMG] As for inexpensive egg cartons, have your friends & family save their empties for you. I bought some from someone on here (Caran Johnson was the name, I think) that are working out quite well and don't take up a lot of space on the shelf, but if you can get freebies from family/friends, that's even better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by