1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I suck at this! (im crying alot right now!) Are they alive? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I am OK at the duck thing, feeding, watering, takeing care of the ducks. But I completly SUCK at hatching their eggs.

while I was at my dads house, my mom was takeing care of my eggs in my incubator, and they all died! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think they are atleased. All of them are turning dark and they are no more cute little heart beats [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aw! it's okay!!! I've read that hatchin' ain't easy, and I'm two weeks away from learning how good or bad I've done.

Don't be hard on yourself. Read up on duck hatching and try again someday. [​IMG]

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    We all have bad hatches at times just keep on trying. You will get it.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thanks! Ive read up all I can I hatching, it was going good till I went to my dads and forgot to fill the tray... Oh well, I hope I can do better in spring...

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
  6. curvy karmii

curvy karmii New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    Are you sure they are dead? Eggs turn dark when the growing chick/duckling starts to fill the space inside. What day are you on? Can you still see any veining?

7. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:I would give them another day or two. I hate loosing hatches but it happens to all of us at some point [​IMG]

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I never have the heart to throw the egg out until im SURE they are dead. So wait! If they were dead there would be no veining?! I see some! Alot more then when I left! But there was no heart beats?! Should I candle some a post pics?! You guys are awesome!!!!

9. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Quote:Hay give ur self a pat on your back. At least you are trying something others will not attempt. As far as hatching duck eggs you will get it. I started with chicken eggs. Trsut me I stil have lots of issues. This summer was crazy. I had trouble with humidity and temp. I use a still air only. I prefer the simple bators to the fancy ones. In the winter I was putting eggs in a towel in the bathroom with the shower one when we lost electric for a week. Luckly I hatched 20 out of 30 of those chicks. [​IMG]

ncubation

Quick Start

Temperature:
    101.5 degrees F. in a still-air incubator
    99.5 degrees F. in a forced air incubator

Humidity:
    Chickens: Relative humidity should be 50 to 55%. Some say to raise the humidity the last three days to 58%. Guineas are the same.
    Waterfowl: Relative humidity for goose and duck eggs is 63%, raise the humidity the last three days to 70%.

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It is hard to see the heart beat once the chick starts to really develope too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by