I suddenly have a flock of bantams....with Silkies!! Photos added!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am almost embarrassed to say I was at the feed store, again, today [​IMG] but I know that I am in good company and will not be tsk'd tsk'd too much, lol. Thank goodness the coop will be done soon and the full size chicks can go outside. The laundry room is getting a bit gamey [​IMG]

I added 6 more banties to my 8 which gives me my limit (seriously! I mean it this time, lol) I think....just maybe....I have 5 silkies in the group - 1 white and 4 buff. They have 5 toes, feathered feet and a little puff on top. The 6th one is just a white with buff barred wings. Not sure what she is yet. I will post photos after dinner to see if people think I have silkies or not. I just wanted to share my news!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    [​IMG]

3. Quail27

Quail27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    I am so jealous. The silkies around here get snatched up from the feedstores before I ever get there.
    Now I'm having to offer up about 10 times what I would have paid for a feed store chick to get one.

Oh well... hopefully I will have my little pullet soon!

4. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I was really shocked when I saw them. They have been there since last Wednesday. I couldn't believe my eyes really. I had to pick them up and check their toes and skin (5 and black!). I am sure I have a roo in the bunch but I don't care, I'll deal with that later, lol. I'm just so thrilled to have silkies finally. Now I'm scared about putting them with my regular flock from all I've been reading. They are in with all the little bantams now and not having a problem. Maybe it is just when they get older? Lots to learn in the next couple months but that's half the fun of having chickens [​IMG] I also got a little splash colored something (at least that is what I think the color is called). I'm going down to take photos now.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Go check your feed store yourself when they get the banty mixes.

When I went to mine last week, the staff told me they were sold out of the silkies and they didn't have a clue what was left in the bin. After looking over the 30-50 chicks running around, I spotted a black and buff/red silkie to bring home.

6. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Go check your feed store yourself when they get the banty mixes.

When I went to mine last week, the staff told me they were sold out of the silkies and they didn't have a clue what was left in the bin. After looking over the 30-50 chicks running around, I spotted a black and buff/red silkie to bring home.

Yes, that is what I did. The first set of banty mix didn't have a silkie in it, just cochin, seebrights and something else I'm not really sure of yet. They are black and white with black combs. Not sure what my little splash colored one is yet either but she's very pretty. She reminds of me a little porcelain doll [​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Finally photos [​IMG] All of them are unnamed at the moment. My daughter wants to help so I need to wait till tonight.

My little splash something or other (is this the correct name for this color?)
    [​IMG]

My white silkie
    [​IMG]

Their adorable little five toes and black skin (can you tell I'm excited to finally have silkies??? [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing the next 4 our buff silkies but not really sure...3 of them have black spots on their heads, all of varying darkness and size. Lol please don't tell me this makes them males or anything. I don't want to know yet!
    [​IMG]

Same as the one above
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh! Zoo! They are so pretty!! Congrats!

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG]

10. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Congrads!! Im glad Im not the only one.

I know what you mean about going to TSC and not able to leave with out some Bantam chicks. I ended up with 20 and my wife said I cant go back until after chick season lol, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by