i suppose 5 days is too early to candle?/???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiki244, Feb 15, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    darn ??? somebody ???

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    It is a little early,

if you did candle you wouldnt see much.

I would wait till day 7.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wait until day 7 at least. I tend to candle on day 10, especially with dark eggs. I try to hold out until 14, but curiosity usually gets the best of me before then. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree it's alittle early to candle unless you really know what your looking for....7 days for sure....just sit on your hands!...lol

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Welllll, What color eggs do you have? If they are white you will be able to see just fine. If they are brown then it will be harder. Make sure if you do that you have a very bright small flashlight and a dark room. I have done this for 3 yrs now and got it down pat. I candle at the end of day 3 or 4 and see decent growth. I dont throw any out though until 8 to 10 days into it. Sometime exspecially with shipped eggs the veins will actuall start growing inside the egg more then around the shell area. It takes a few days for them to get big enough and around the outer area to be seen. I do a random candling every few days of a couple eggs at a time. This way I know that everything is going well. Also if I have a temp spike or drop I will candle a couple to make sure everyone is moving. Good luck. Jenn

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    WOW Thanks Everybody!

fast response! well I walked into the other room and quickly candled two and got back and all these responses--

white leghorn bantam has some veins

buff brahma bantam (shipped egg) has nice solid aircell and cant see any more-

I will wait now and follow some much needed advice from you guys

[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If this is your first time, I reccomend waiting till day 10. That is when you will be able to see something for sure, especially if you have a high power flashlight or candler. Earlier and you risk just cadling for nothing and cooling eggs down and so on.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I am going to need that advice a lot!!!!! 5 days and I am already futzin around [​IMG]

TY Kris

9. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I am going to need that advice a lot!!!!! 5 days and I am already futzin around [​IMG]

TY Kris

I know how you feel Kris. Waiting 21 days for a chick is frustrating. I am incubating eggs right now too. We candled yesterday (day 7) and saw stuff. We candled a few at day 5 and it was really hard to see anything. Thank god my incubator is at a friends who lives about 2 miles from me (she and I are incubating a bunch of eggs together) so I don't have the urge to go and candle every few days.

Kim

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] yeah that helps

My serama eggs are at a friends!!! Thank goodness!!!!

coming up on pip day Sunday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by