1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I sure hope Idid the right thing here... (abandoned egg at day 22)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaSombra, Jan 22, 2010.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    My broody abandoned the nest at day 22. I had one hatch yesterday and then all has been silent. This morning, I went out there to find momma hadn't been on the nest for quite some time so took the eggs inside. It was below freezing temp this morning. I put them into a plastic container with wet sponges and a heating lamp. Momma was still off the nest a few hours later (and even still is off). Well, I can't keep the humidity right in a little bin like that, have no incubator anyway. I candled the eggs and one had already broken into the air cell and was moving slowly.

I went ahead and popped open the eggs at the air cell and found that 3 were quitters. The 4th is still alive and well and I've got it in the plastic bin still with the heat. I've been dripping little drops of water on the membrane to keep it moist until it's ready to really hatch. I think the membrane would have dried and shrink wrapped the chick if I hadn't popped the top and put drops of water on it.

Is there anything else I can do or just sit and wait, drip some water for it, and such? I've got a couple pots of water boiling on the stove also, in case that might help.

*sigh*

2. CajunChick

CajunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I have no idea what to do..I'm new at this.[​IMG] I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and I hope the little guy makes it![​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I would keep it warm 99.5 degrees or close to it. Keep the humidity up now so it won't get stuck and suffocate. Just watch closely. It's always touchy with this. Sometimes, if you help too soon, it could bleed to death. Then, if you don't help in time it dies anyway. Just watch close and keep it warm and humid.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Best of luck, I hope the chick hatches!

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] You can do it!! Your instincts seem right on! [​IMG]

6. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like you are doing all you can [​IMG] [​IMG] Hang in there!

7. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Thanks for the votes of confidence, all [​IMG] The chick is still doing OK. It's still curled up in there with its little beak poking out. It's breathing and I keep adding drops of water to the membrane when it starts to turn a little white. Boy, it's hot in my house LOL

I'm just glad I'm home today and don't have to go anywhere for the next couple days. I can pay more attention to this little chick!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    good luck, sounds like you'll probably save this one.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Well, this little one didn't make it afterall. It seemed to be doing fine, but just suddenly stopped breathing. I tried to revive it because I was right there watching when it did, but nothing helped. I'm kinda embarassed to admit, but I tried giving it a bit of mouth-to-mouth [​IMG] Obviously, it didn't work. Thanks for rooting for the little one with me. At least I did have one chick hatch from this clutch... So I've got 1 three-week-old and 1 newborn now. Hopefully, I can eventually put them together before turning them out into the rest of the flock. *sigh* poor little chickie :*(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by