I sure hope this baby is a girl

Lil'ChickFarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
She is so beautiful.
She is an EE or a mix. Not sure.

I think she is beautiful though. AND I sure hope she is a girl.
I let my babies free range with me in the early evening. They don't want to go back in though and are hard to catch.

IMG_3798ee.jpg

She is a beauty! What time of day are you attempting to get them back into the coop? I run a home daycare and my daycare parents are always "amazed" at how well trained by hens are by putting themselves to bed at night, lol! Once it starts getting dusk, they will all naturally head home to roost :)

This baby is 7 weeks old.
I know that hens will return at dusk, but I can't leave them out side unatended. I don't live in an area that they can free range. Soon I hope after next year and my kids graduate, we are moving.
We are building a fenced in area for them to be out in very soon.
Compared to my other two at this age, this one has a shorter comb, but it is turning pink. It is hard to tell because they are not purebred chickens.
Rhode island red and easter eggers were in the same pen with males of each.
There was also Barred rock mom's.
This one does not show aggression in any way. The other two at the same age are more stand up and bold etc. They have thicker feet and taller combs. I think they are going to be males. So sad as they are beautiful too. If I lived in the country, I would keep them all.
smile.png

That looks like a pretty well-developed pea comb for 7 weeks...
sad.png
I hope I'm wrong but I'd expect crows rather than eggs from this one.

Oh, and mine were a huge pain to get back in when they were in a brooder box but once I moved them to their coop, they started going in at dusk on their own. I worked on them anyway because I want them to go in when I need them to do so even if it's not getting dark. Bribes, bribes, and more bribes. And now I can't even walk around the corner without chickens mobbing me to see what I might have.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom