I Survived my first chicken injury! Warning: Some pictures have blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ponygal12, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone!

I survived my first chicken injury! I shouln't really be excited, but I'm proud of myself, lol.

I went out to feed the chickens a treat and I noticed their was blood all over the place. I inspected each chicken and found May's comb bleeding like crazy. I quickly removed her from the flock to see what the problem was. There was so much blood, I couldn't figure out where the wound was. After I cleaned it up, I noticed the tip of May's comb was missing. That's when the blood came pouring out again. A little while later, the bleeding finally ceased, thank goodness. I put some vassaline on her comb and she rejoined the flock. Well.....she's isolated from the flock in the coop. Anyways, I'm just glad it didn't turn into a complete disaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Great job dealing with this, ponygal12! [​IMG] Very pretty bird - Rhode Island Red?

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Ouch! Poor May. Do you know how it happened. Looks like you got it all under control though. Do you have some 'blood stop'? That is great stuff and stops bleeding quickly. I guess it would do the same for the comb with the tip missing. I have put it on combs of roosters and hens and has stopped the bleeding. It is a good tool to have one hand for things like this.

Your girl is pretty!

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Good job!! [​IMG] We had a hen who routinely would get her comb cut as well. Her and her sister liked to fight over the nest. Very close to one another EXCEPT when it involved the nest. The sister (Pia...short for Pain in the ***) would bite poor Frenchie's comb until she got off the nest so Pia could lay her egg. [​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Good job chicken nurse! ;D

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Great job and I second having a styptic powder in the chicken first aid kit! [​IMG]

7. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I think one of her lovely sisters pecked it....silly chickens! [​IMG] Anyways, the bleeding has almost completely stopped. If she aggravates it a drop of blood will come out.

Something good has also come out of this! My rescue pullet made friends with May while they were seperated from the flock........

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I read here once that someone used flour to stop the bleeding, anyone heard of that?

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Seems it would work. Corn starch works great as does sugar (to a lesser degree than corn starch, but nonetheless, it works).

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Sorry to hear about your chicken...how is she doing now?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by