I suspect impacted crop! Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarieNC, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    My 7 month old RIR Cornelia Marie has a very distended crop. I noticed this yesterday but I don't know how long it's been going on. It's not hard at all, but soft and squishy and makes a gurgling noise when I massage it. She pukes up a little but there is no foul smell to it. I have tried to massage it down a few times yesterday and this morning it's still huge. I offered her some bread soaked with olive oil but she doesn't seem interested in it at all. I have separated her from the other girls in a pen of her own with towels on the floor so she won't eat any bedding. She has plenty of fresh water. What would my next steps be? I'm thinking I need to put some olive or mineral oil into her crop but I've never done this and I don't want to put it into her lungs by accident. Any suggestions would be helpful. My vet owns chickens so I could call her if it's necessary.

2. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Bumping up for any input. Thanks!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Before I did anything, I would want to be sure that it actually IS an impacted crop. And one way to eliminate whether it is or not is to keep her contained as she is, put away all food tonight, and check her first thing in the morning BEFORE she's had ANY chance to get to food (and to see if she's passing droppings). So unless she had NO access to food before you looked at her this morning, I wouldn't assume it was impacted.
    Meanwhile, the olive oil certainly won't hurt anything, and neither will massaging. Plus, since she's contained, you can observe today whether she's drinking or eating at all.

4. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Quote:I did keep her without food since dinner time last night and this morning her crop is still bulging. She is passing *some* droppings, but not as much as I would have expected since dinner time last night. You know how chickens can poop! Anyway, she has eaten some oatmeal with olive oil on it, since she was not interested in the soaked bread. I will massage and keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by