I suspect my dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wagoncab, Sep 19, 2010.

1. wagoncab

wagoncab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    Hi All;
    I posted elsewhere a while back about my little Lt. Brahma roo that had been so sick/crippled with Marek's or Botulism and then recovered. I was so happy for him. We built him a pen of his own and I got him 2 little girls. I left them outside ONE night and they
    were gone the next morning. The fence had been ripped at the bottom and something fair sized crawled in and got all 3. I was heartbroken. I found what was left of him the next day (Wing and leg) and buried what there was. There were no scattered feathers
    and no other body parts.
    I had also lost a little feather footed banty rooster a while back and a full grown RIR rooster. I am strongly suspecting one of my Pyranese dogs.I can't prove it but I have seen her chasing chickens ocasionally. I now tie her up during the day so the chickens can be out. So far so good. If I knew for sure it was her, she would be gone.
    Cindy

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry for your losses, but it doesn't really sound like a dog attack. I'm not saying you should trust your dog with the chooks, but dog attacks usually result in lots of feathers and bodies since they're looking at the chickens as squeaky toys more than food.

3. wagoncab

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    I don't want to suspect the dog but nothing else makes sense.[​IMG] We have floodlights on at night as well and I would think that if it were something else, the other dogs would have been alerted. Also, I did not lose any chickens before I got this dog:confused:

4. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]:hugs

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's possible, just not the "usual" M.O. for a dog attack. You know your animals best though so keeping the dog and chickens seperate certainly makes sense. I'd just advice not to get completely locked into the theory that the dog did it until going over your set up with the proverbial fine tooth comb just in case something else found a breach in security and has a liking for chicken dinner. I hope you're able to find out for sure one way or the other soon, I know it's hard for me to get a good nights sleep when my coop is being actively targeted.

6. wagoncab

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    Well the coop is being reinforced with stronger fencing and will also have an inside enclosure so any future residents will be totally closed up at night. Being that it is empty right now, I would like to bait it somehow but not sure what to d

7. wagoncab

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    Thank you for the hug QuinnP
    I really miss my little Roo:hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by