I suspect two of my ladies are gentlemen.

debikm

Chirping
Feb 17, 2019
NE Florida
My Jersey Giant chicks were supposed to be pullets, but I did want a rooster, to offer protection when they are mature enough to free range in the yard. One of them I've called my drama queen, s/he flails and shrieks like I'm killing her (?) when I move them from the brooder to their pen in the daytime. As soon as I let them go this morning, she started facing off with a couple of the others. S/he has more comb development than three of the others, another also has a more prominent comb. Any opinions?

Looks like it to me. You’ll know for sure when they start waking you up at 5:45 am like one of my ‘girls’ did this morning. Your girls will have a couple of great bodyguards!

Yeah is it just me or are those chicks barred?

Also how many ladies do you have if you have 2 cockerals? If you only have three girls I would suggest adding more girls and rehoming one of the boys.

If I have two boys I have three hens. I only want the one so I will find the extra roo a new home. I only intended to have four anyway when I thought I was getting all hens, LOL, but that would have left only one JG chick in the brooder at Tractor Supply, and I'm a softie, so I bought five chicks. I would like another hen since we all love eggs.

Back
Top Bottom