1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I swear! its always something new......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 20, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Grrr! I've been in the chicken buisness (Not really a buisness) but i've had chickens for a year, and they remind me of children they catch everything!

In the year my chickens have caught....

1. scaly mites (bought a roo who had them, so I had to treat him)
    2. farvus (they got that last fall) treated them with anti fungi med
    3. coccidous, or something like that (treated with sumlet)
    4. bought a rooster with lice not knowing (had to treat him with powder for 2 weeks)

When I first got chickens I told myself " my chickens will never get sick" psssstttt. they catch everything.

Well I think they are clean now beside I am still treating with sumlet

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Perhaps you got the #2 and 3 the same way. You must be careful who you deal with. Once you get things under control I advise running a closed flock. No new one in. Hatch your own and be extra careful who you buy anything including eggs from. Some folks don't keep their coops as clean as you'd think. Even some of the experts.

Never breed birds that have been sick and recovered. (This is the advice of Don Schrider of the ALBC.)

Also keep your birds as calm and unstressed as possible. Stressed chickens are more prone to getting sick and picking up crud.

Dust and worm on a regular basis. It should be part of your management program. Keep them healthy and they are less likely to get sick.

Hope you and they feel better soon.

Rancher

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    The flock diddent catch lice, I noticed lice before I entered him so I treated him before putting him in. Yeah I should stop buying chickens from swaps etc. My dream is to bred show chickens, I am thinking Seramas but I don't know so I guess I should stop and only buy eggs off byc, who I know care for there chickens.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:

Even on here you have to be careful. Always Quarantine you new birds for 30 days.

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm so glad you put this reminder. I haven't bought adult stock but I have been tempted.

I need the info tattooed on my hand that reaches for my money. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by