I take it all back * I finally got MILK *

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wendy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have been trying and trying to get milk from our Nigerian Dwarf Goat who kidded on Jan 1st. My dh tried too, so he searched online and in some catalogs we had. He found this easy milker and ordered it for me. Wow! that thing does a good job. It has one flaw, the bottle could be a little shorter for a Nigerian Dwarf Goat.

Joli the goat I am trying to milk, her teats are not that big. I don't know if all Nigerian Dwarf goats are like this or not. But the milker we got helps. I got alot of milk from one milking as you can see by the pics. [​IMG]

If anyone wants to know, we got it from Valley Vet Supply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

Be careful with the EZ milker, I've heard some people talk about it being too rough and causing irritation with prolonged use.

No, not all Nigis have itty bitty teaties...you have to shop around for proven milking lines with good teat size. Many of my grade Nigis have impossibly small teats...it takes some practise to get the action right to milk them. Or, just invest in a milking machine LOL.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I want some good dairy nigi's or just goats period!

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    The lady we bought from milks hers. Both of our goats we got from her have the same size teats. The milk bag itself is big, it is the teats that are smaller.

I want to get another breed too and have more than one type milk goats. But for now we just have Joli, Olivia and Joli's babies, New & Eve.

I know what you mean about the ezmilker, I could see where it could become a problem. I did not over due it and will keep a eye on her. Thanks for the heads up.

I posted pics on my website link too of the babies.

5. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    It's sort of a headache for me, anyway, with Nigis. Some are bred for pets and have pitiful udders AND teats, some are bred for show where they concentrate on udder SIZE and teat PLACEMENT but not teat size or milk production. The tickets are usually the star does and bucks - many of them also have small teats though. Such a headache!

Going to look at babies now [​IMG] ...

6. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Just wrap those two babies up and send them to me [​IMG]

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Thanks Kate, they are adorable. I pick them up several times a day and hug them. They make grunting noises like puppies! To cute [​IMG]

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have some that have tiny teats also and its sortof hard to milk them but like Kate said once you get the hang of it ...2 finger milking its easy and will work. The udderly milker is a good milker and works well. The maggiedans causes problems. I got 1 of those and my girls hated it as it pinches...learning to milk is hard if someone cant show you how, but practice and you will get it. Nice job

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and my right hand often presents issues with milking twice a day. I have been looking at the milkers and wondering how well they work but still hesitate to buy one. The last time I checked the E-Z milker was over $200. My question is - Is it worth it?

10. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I have a contact, MP, for a family who rebuilds/builds from refurbished parts 2 goat milking machines for around $600. Let me know if you want the contact info. They come well recommended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by